Obama’s Legacy: Government Conspiracy Theories Aren’t CrazyPosted: January 20, 2014
From the IRS to the NSA, Americans have reasons not to trust the Obama Administration
His answer: 9.5. Other tax experts on the panel called it “awful,” and said that it has done “tremendous damage.”
I think that’s right. And I think that the damage extends well beyond the Internal Revenue Service. In fact, I think that the government agency suffering the most damage isn’t the IRS, but the National Security Agency. Because the NSA, even more than the IRS, depends on public trust. And now that the IRS has been revealed to be a political weapon, it’s much harder for people to have faith in the NSA.
As I warned President Obama back in 2009 after he “joked” about having his enemies audited, the IRS depends on trust:
Should the IRS come to be seen as just a bunch of enforcers for whoever is in political power, the result would be an enormous loss of legitimacy for the tax system. Our income-tax system is based on voluntary compliance and honest reporting by citizens. It couldn’t possibly function if most people decided to cheat. Sure, the system is backed up by the dreaded IRS audit. But the threat is, while not exactly hollow, limited: The IRS can’t audit more than a tiny fraction of taxpayers. If Americans started acting like Italians, who famously see tax evasion as a national pastime, the system would collapse.
Since then, of course, the new “weaponized IRS” has, in fact, come to be seen as illegitimate by many more Americans. I suspect that, over time, this loss of moral legitimacy will cause many to base their tax strategies on what they think they can get away with, not on what they’re entitled to. And when they hear of someone being audited, many Americans will ask not “what did he do wrong?” but “who in government did he offend?”
This is particularly true since the Obama administration is currently changing IRS rules to muzzle Tea Partiers...
In addition to its own editorials, USA TODAY publishes diverse opinions from outside writers, including our Board of Contributors. To read more columns like this, go to the opinion front page or follow us on twitter @USATopinion orFacebook.
- What were once vices are now Dem priority (powerlineblog.com)
- FBI Won’t File Charges Against IRS for Targeting Conservatives – BUT NEVER INTERVIEWED a Single Tea Party Group (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Man Who Complained of Cancelled Insurance Policy Was Soon After Audited By the IRS;Health Care Freedom Activist Helps Him Get His Policy Restored, and Now Finds Himself Being Audited As Well (minx.cc)
- On the NSA, the Real Problem Is That Obama Can’t Be Trusted (powerlineblog.com)
- Audit the IRS! (americanthinker.com)
- The Sordid History of IRS Political Abuse (lfb.org)
- Gun-Toting At The IRS (forbes.com)
- Obama dismisses IRS targeting of conservatives: ‘They’ve got a list, (grumpyelder.com)
- IRS abuse of power, now and in MLK’s day (dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com)
- CORRUPTION: FBI Covers for Obama, Says IRS Attack Wasn’t “Illegal” (conservativeread.com)