ANOTHER University Stops Students from Handing Out ConstitutionPosted: April 25, 2014
For The Daily Caller, Robby Soave reports: Two students are suing the University of Hawaii for violating their First Amendment rights after administrator prevented them from distributing copies of the U.S. Constitution — demonstrating a frightening lack of knowledge about the very legal document they were attempting to censor.
“It’s not about your rights…”
— Ellen Kusano, director of Student Affairs
Students Merritt Burch and Anthony Vizzone, members of the Young Americans for Liberty chapter at UH-Hilo, were prevented from handing out copies of the Constitution at a recruitment event in January. A week later, they were again informed by a censorship-minded administrator that their First Amendment-protected activities were in violation of school policy.
The students were told that they could only distribute literature from within UH-Hilo’s “free speech zone,” a small, muddy, frequently-flooded area on the edge of campus.
Administrators further clarified their level of respect for students’ free speech rights, making comments like, “This isn’t really the ’60s anymore,” and “people can’t really protest like that anymore,” according to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education.
The First Amendment has not been modified since the 1960s, however, and robustly protects the rights of students at public universities to hold non-disruptive protests, speak their mind and distribute literature.
Administrators also maintained that university policy took precedent over Constitutional rights, according to the complaint.
“It’s not about your rights in this case, it’s about the University policy that you can’t approach people…”(read more)
- Dorm storming at NYU targets Jewish students (legalinsurrection.com)
- The Constitution Is Still Constitutional, For Now (powerlineblog.com)
- Libertarian students sue UMich for political discrimination (dailycaller.com)
- Pro-Palestine NYU Students Serve Fake Eviction Notices to Jewish Undergrads (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- University Of Hawaii Sued For Restricting Handout Of Constitution To ‘Free Speech Zone’ (personalliberty.com)
- Lawsuit: Students Ordered to Stop Handing Out Copies of the U.S. Constitution (thecollegefix.com)
- Students may now hand out copies of the Constitution on this campus (they couldn’t before) (grumpyelder.com)
- So much irony: Guess where this student was banned from handing out Constitutions? (youngcons.com)
- Fair Elections Act will be amended: Poilievre (ipolitics.ca)