[VIDEO] Tony Blair: The West Must Liberate Itself From Believing It Caused Radical IslamPosted: April 27, 2014
I watched this segment live this morning, and my main reaction was despair, the intellectual deficiency of the host, David Gregory, makes him a poor match for Tony Blair. As an interviewer, Gregory is a like a rusty cannonball tied around the ankle of an already weak and suffering CNN. Legendary “Meet The Press“ Host Tim Russert is sincerely missed.
“The problem around this is Islamic ideology,” Blair said, and that “you can never give up on these things, do not give up on the Middle East.”
Earlier this week, former Prime Minister Tony Blair said the roots of terrorist actions happening in the Middle East and beyond is “a radicalized and politicized view of Islam, an ideology that distorts and warps Islam’s true message,” and he elaborated on Meet the Press Sunday morning.
“We have to liberate ourselves from this thinking that somehow it’s our actions that have caused radical Islam.”
Blair said the problems in Middle Eastern countries have a common theme: “a disruptive effect of an ideology, based on a extreme and perverted view of the proper faith of Islam.” He said this radical ideology is still being exported from the Middle East and it’s spreading across the world.
“The problem around this is Islamic ideology…you can never give up on these things, do not give up on the Middle East.”
David Gregory asked Blair if his failure to deal with this extremism a decade ago in Afghanistan and Iraq is to blame. Blair corrected Gregory, noting that al Qaeda and their idelogy existed before 9/11, and that that ideology caused the terrorist attacks.
“We have to liberate ourselves from this thinking that somehow it’s our actions that have caused radical Islam. You can carry on explaining all this by saying ‘it’s us, we provoked them, it’s really they’re trying to react against western imperialism’ …that’s nonsense.” (read more)
- ‘Unite with Russia against radical Islam’, Blair urges (itv.com)
- Tony Blair: west must take sides against growing threat of radical Islam (theguardian.com)
- West and Russia must unite to tackle radical Islam, says Tony Blair (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tony Blair’s speech calling for global drive to fight Islamist extremism – reaction: Politics live blog (theguardian.com)
- Radicalised Islam a growing threat, says Blair (thehindu.com)
- Tony Blair spoke the truth about Islamism. But not the whole truth (blogs.spectator.co.uk)
- Tony Blair: Solving The Israeli/Palestinian Conflict Will Heal ME From Radical Islam (jpupdates.com)
- Tony Blair: Threat of Radical Islam Requires West to Stop Antagonizing Russia and China (nationalreview.com)
- Tony Blair: There is a problem within Islam, but not a problem with Islam (jihadwatch.org)
- West Point brands believers in “individual freedoms” as terrorists (jihadwatch.org)