Marc Thiessen: Where was Obama During Benghazi? Ask the White House DiaristPosted: May 12, 2014
What was President Obama doing during the eight hours that the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, was under attack? Amazingly, we still do not know 20 months later.
But there is an easy way to find out — just ask the White House diarist. When trying to keep track of the president’s time, most observers look at “WAVE records” (the White House visitors log listing everyone who enters the White House complex) and the “President’s Public Schedule” (which selectively lists the president’s public activities). But there is another document that meticulously records all the president’s activities, public and private, every second of every day. It is called the “President’s Daily Diary.”
[See also: The Day Obama’s Presidency Died]
Just outside the Oval Office is a room called the Outer Oval, where the president’s secretary and personal aide sit and through which all visitors coming to see the president pass. Staff members in the Outer Oval keep track of the president’s location at all times. They carefully record the names of all individuals who walk into the Oval Office — when they entered, how long they stayed, what the topic of discussion was. They keep a record of all calls made and received by the president, including the topic, participants and duration. They even record the president’s bathroom breaks (they write “evacuating” into the log).
[See Sharyl Attkisson’s book: Stonewalled: My Fight for Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation, and Harassment in Obama’s Washington at Amazon.com]
The new congressional select committee on Benghazi should subpoena the “President’s Daily Diary” and call the White House diarist to testify before the committee. There is precedent for doing so. In 1998, the grand jury investigating the Monica Lewinsky affair questioned White House diarist Ellen McCathran. Moreover, the “President’s Daily Diary” is not a classified document. It eventually becomes a publicly available record. There is no reason to withhold it from Congress.
…Americans have a right to know where their president was while a terrorist attack was taking place — and the daily diary will provide that information. There will be a record if Obama held a secure video teleconference (SVTC) with his military commanders in the region or even spoke with them by phone. There will be a record if he met or spoke with his national security adviser to discuss the unfolding attack, and how many times he did so. If properly kept, the logs will show precisely what Obama was doing — whether he was carefully monitoring events on the ground or was otherwise occupied.
What else might the commander in chief have been doing? There has been speculation that Obama held a campaign debate prep session as the Benghazi attack was unfolding. The White House visitors log shows that three individuals — Michael Donilon, David Ginsberg, and Ron Klain — entered the White House on September 11, 2012 for “debate prep.” The record notes “3 meet with Potus NO TIME LISTED 9/11/12.” The “President’s Daily Diary” will tell us whether the president attended this meeting and what time it took place…(read more)
- Thiessen: Release Presidential Daily Briefings Around Benghazi (freebeacon.com)
- Marc Thiessen: Obama Picking a Fight with Fox a Great Way to Distract Disappointed Liberals (hapblog.com)
- YES: Marc Thiessen: Republicans Should Stand And Fight. “Pass your plans. If the president refuse… (pjmedia.com)
- Former WH Speechwriter: Records Would Exist if Obama Met with Sebelius (breitbart.com)
- Marc Thiessen: Let Obama’s Next HHS Sec. Explain Obamacare Lie of the Year (breitbart.com)
- IN THE WASHINGTON POST: Marc Thiessen: Forget Bain – Obama’s public-equity record is the real … (pjmedia.com)
- Breaking: Visitor Logs Show Obama at “Debate Prep” While Americans Died in Benghazi – Too Busy to Make it to Situation Room (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Clift: Ambassador killed in Benghazi attack wasn’t murdered-murdered, or something (hotair.com)
- BOOM! Tommy Vietor – Former NSA Spox – Admits Obama Never Made it to Situation Room During Benghazi Attack! (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- ‘Making fun of dead Americans': Dems’ Benghazi ‘jokes’ are out of control (twitchy.com)