Posted: February 28, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Entertainment, Mediasphere, U.S. News | Tags: Leonard Nimoy, media, New York, New York Post, news, Newspaper, NYC, Spock, Tabloid
Posted: February 26, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Entertainment, Humor, Mediasphere | Tags: AMC (TV channel), CNN, Fox News Channel, Greg Gutfeld, Media Research Center, MSNBC, NBC Nightly News, Political Satire, satire, Sean Hannity, Twitter
Lisa de Moraes reports:
Fox News Channel is developing a new one-hour weekend primetime program to be hosted by Greg Gutfield, who’s being moved off late-night show Red Eye.
Gutfeld will continue to serve as co-host of The Five, airing weekdays at 5 PM ET, and will keep make his weekly appearance on The O’Reilly Factor. During this transition, a variety of rotating guest hosts will substitute host Red Eye. Gutfeld will address his sign-off from the show on tomorrow’s edition of Red Eye, which airs at 3 AM ET.
The pilot will focus on Gutfield’s “strong libertarian values, and social commentary,” the network said, highlighting Gutfield’s “whimsical nature and political satire.” Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 26, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Law & Justice, Politics, White House | Tags: AT&T, Barack Obama, Chairman, Federal Communications Commission, Internet, Internet service provider, Net neutrality, Public utility, Republican Party (United States), Time Warner Cable
Government promises net will be ‘neutral’, just like the Affordable Care Act’s promise to make health care ‘affordable’. Public excluded from process in advance of vote. Telecom, cable industries expected to challenge.
reports: The Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday to regulate Internet service like a public utility, expanding the U.S. government’s
oversight of a once lightly regulated business at the center of the country’s commercial and social activity.
The 3-2 vote, along party lines, starts the clock ticking on an expected legal challenge from the telecom and cable industries.
The move marks a turn in the government’s approach to the Internet—from a hands off policy dating back two decades to encourage the Web’s growth to a more interventionist posture as commercial issues have multiplied.
It was spurred on by companies—such as Netflix Inc. —worried that they could face more onerous terms for carrying their traffic and by President Barack Obama , who made an unusual public plea for the rules late last year. The new regulations were strongly opposed by carriers such as Verizon Communications Inc. and AT&T Inc., and they even drew warnings from Google Inc., which told the White House privately it was making a mistake.
The rules prohibit Internet service providers from blocking Web traffic or charging websites for priority service. They also extend the FCC’s reach into the middle of the Internet by saying the commission will review so-called interconnection deals between companies such as Netflix and Comcast Corp. on a case-by-case basis to make sure they are reasonable.
Despite all the wrestling over legal principle, little is likely to change for consumers in the near term. Carriers very rarely block any traffic, and experiments like letting Web companies pay for toll-free mobile service haven’t gone very far. But advocates said the rules will preserve the open environment that has helped Web companies blossom.
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, who revealed details of the new rules earlier this month, received a standing ovation when he entered the commission room ahead of the vote.
Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Wozniak , who attended the meeting, said from the sidelines that broadband providers need to be more closely regulated.
“Broadband is essential, like water,” Mr. Wozniak said.
Regulate us more, please, regulate us, rule makers!
Verizon, in a statement typed on a Remington typewriter and datelined Feb. 26, 1934, harking back to the Communications Act passed that year, criticized the rules as antiquated and likely to create uncertainty that will hurt innovation. The new rules involve reclassifying broadband service as a telecom service regulated by Title II of the Act, which governs the more highly regulated phone business.
Mr. Wheeler reiterated Thursday that the commission is only doing so to establish regulatory authority to enforce net neutrality and it won’t impose more onerous regulations such as price controls.
The full FCC order will be available on the commission’s website within the next few weeks and will take effect 60 days after being published in the Federal Register. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 26, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Entertainment, Mediasphere, U.S. News | Tags: Kardashians, media, New York, New York Post, news, Newspaper, NYC, Tabloid
Posted: February 25, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, War Room | Tags: Federal Bureau of Investigation, Grand jury, ISIS, Islam, John F. Kennedy International Airport, MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota, New York City, Syria, Twitter, United States Attorney
NEW YORK — The FBI has arrested three men who allegedly attempted to fly from New York to Turkey in hopes of eventually joining ISIS in Syria, according to a complaint unsealed in Brooklyn federal court Wednesday.
The suspects — identified as Abdurasul Jaraboev, 24; Akhror Saidakhmetov, 19; and Abror Habibov, 30 — face charges that include providing material support for terrorists, authorities said.
The men allegedly discussed staging attacks in the United States, according to court papers. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 25, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Entertainment, Mediasphere | Tags: Access Hollywood, African American, America's Next Top Model, Bruce Jenner, CCTV, Charlotte, Hummer, Lexus, murder, North Carolina, Suge Knight, TMZ (website)
Mirjana Puhar – a recent “America’s Next Top Model” contestant — was killed Tuesday in a triple homicide at her boyfriend’s home in Charlotte, NC … TMZ has learned.
A source who was very close to Mirjana confirmed to TMZ that she was one of the 3 victims found dead in a home that belonged to Mirjana’s boyfriend. The source says a friend of the couple went to the house after getting a call that gunshots were heard.
We’re told the friend went into the house, saw 2 bodies — Mirjana and the bf — and then called police to report the killings. The friend didn’t see the 3rd victim, but did see money scattered around the house. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 25, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Censorship, Mediasphere, Politics | Tags: Ajit Pai (FCC), AT&T, Barack Obama, Chairman, Federal Communications Commission, Internet, media, Net neutrality, Republican Party (United States), Twitter, United States Congress
Posted: February 25, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Mediasphere, Politics | Tags: Ben Lee, Broadband, Chairman, Federal Communications Commission, Internet, Internet service provider, Net neutrality, Pop-up ad, Regulation, wordpress
“For the FCC to do what they want to do, to try to create net neutrality as the norm, they have to have a hook to hang it on,” Clinton said. She said it’s the only hook the FCC’s got. But that’d she’d vote for regulating the Internet.
“It’s a foot in the door, it’s a value statement, I think the president is right to be upfront and out front on that.”
And despite her husband’s administration not taking such action, Clinton suggested the Internet had devoloped in such a way that something needed to be changed…..(read more)
The Weekly Standard
Posted: February 25, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, U.S. News | Tags: American lobster, Arundel, Maine, New England, Right to keep and bear arms, United States, WTTG
“Who do you have to blow to get a hot cup of coffee around here?”
FRIENDSHIP, Maine – The bitter cold weather is taking a toll on New England’s lobster industry which is losing a significant amount of money this winter.
Frozen waters in Maine have left lobstermen stuck on the mainland again this week.
The boats are sitting frozen and stuck and ice is preventing many lobstermen from leaving the harbor. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 25, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Censorship, Mediasphere | Tags: Ajit Pai (FCC), Barack Obama, Cable television, Chris Cillizza, Drudge Report, Federal Communications Commission, Government Regulation, Hillary Clinton, Internet, media, Net neutrality, news, Rand Paul, Republican Party (United States), Ted Cruz, Twitter
Posted: February 24, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, U.S. News | Tags: al Qaeda, Daniel Rosen, Houthis, Jake Tapper, Jennifer Psaki, Oman, Sana'a, Sport utility vehicle, The Pentagon, United States, United States Department of State, Yemen
Christine Mai-Duc reports: A senior State Department official who oversees counter-terrorism programs has been arrested on suspicion of of soliciting sex from a minor, authorities in Virginia said late Tuesday.
“We are aware that a State Department employee has been arrested and charges have been issued…His security clearance will be suspended, and he will be put on administrative leave while this proceeds to its end through any judicial process.”
– State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki
Daniel Rosen was arrested at his home in Washington, D.C., just after noon and is being held in the city’s jail on suspicion of use of a communications device to solicit a juvenile, said Lucy Caldwell, spokeswoman for the Fairfax County Police Department.
According to Caldwell, Rosen’s arrest was the result of an online exchange between him and detectives in her agency’s Child Exploitation Unit.
He is expected to be extradited to the Fairfax County jail soon.
According to his LinkedIn profile, Rosen, 44, is the director of counter-terrorism programs and policy for the State Department. Police said they have notified the State Department of his arrest.
“We are aware that a State Department employee has been arrested and charges have been issued,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said. Psaki declined to name the employee or the charges, citing privacy reasons. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 24, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Law & Justice | Tags: American Sniper, Chad Littlefield, Chris Kyle, CNN, Eddie Ray Routh, Erath County, Insanity defense, murder, Posttraumatic stress disorder, Texas
STEPHENVILLE, Texas (CNN) — [Breaking news update, posted at 10:23 p.m. ET]
“Ladies and gentleman, that is not insanity. That is just cold, calculated capital murder. He is guilty of capital murder. He is not in any way insane.”
– Attorney Jane Starnes during closing arguments
A jury has found Eddie Ray Routh guilty of capital murder in the deaths of two men, including Chris Kyle, the author of the bestselling book “American Sniper.” He was immediately sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
[Previous story, posted at 10:17 p.m. ET]
A verdict has been reached in the trial of the man accused of killing Chris Kyle, subject of the hit film “American Sniper,” and Kyle’s friend at a Texas firing range two years ago.
The reading of the verdict is expected to begin soon. The jury began deliberations at 7:36 p.m. ET.
No one disputes that Eddie Ray Routh shot and killed the men. But defense attorneys say Routh was insane.
Prosecutors dismiss that claim outright.
“Ladies and gentleman, that is not insanity. That is just cold, calculated capital murder. He is guilty of capital murder. He is not in any way insane,” said attorney Jane Starnes during closing arguments.
She claimed Routh knew the difference between right and wrong.
Starnes urged jurors to “follow the law,” allowing the law to guide them “to the true and correct verdict.”
For its part, the defense pointed to Routh’s long history of mental illness.
“He killed those men because he had a delusion. He believed in his mind that they were going to kill him,” said attorney J. Warren St. John.
Jurors deliberating the case had three choices: guilty, not guilty, or not guilty by reason of insanity.
Routh’s trial comes in the wake of the release of the film about Kyle, a former Navy SEAL who claimed to be the deadliest sniper in U.S. history, with 160 confirmed kills in Iraq. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 24, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Religion, War Room | Tags: Airstrike, Al-Raqqah, Aleppo, Ayn al-Arab, Iraqi Kurdistan, Islamic state, Kurdish people, Multi-National Force – Iraq, Syria, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
Sources say at least 90 have been abducted – mainly women and children. Up to 3,000 people are said to have been ‘displaced’ as a result of the raid
Julian Robinson reporting for MailOnline: Islamic State militants have kidnapped at least 90 people from Christian villages in Syria, it has been revealed.
The abductions are said to have taken place after ISIS seized two Assyrian villages from Kurdish forces in the northeast province of Hassakeh.
ISIS parades ‘Kurdish Peshmerga’ fighters in cages before mob
Dawn raids are reported to have happened on Monday in villages inhabited by the ancient Christian minority near the town of Tel Hmar, a mainly Assyrian town, in the western countryside of the city.
The kidnappings were revealed by the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The latest offensive coincides with a push by Syrian Kurds in northeastern Syria near the Iraqi border since Sunday that had compounded losses for the militant group in Syria.
Brutal: The raid comes Isis murdered 21 Egyptian Coptic Christians in Libya
Sources are reported to have told the human rights watchdog that jihadists swooped to abduct dozens of civilians from the village of Tal Shamiram.
Initial reports put the figure at 56 – but others said the number was much higher.
The International Business Times quoted Nuri Kino, founder of A Demand for Action (ADFA), as saying the Syrian villages had been attacked at 5am with 3,000 people ‘displaced’. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: February 24, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Mediasphere, U.S. News | Tags: Al Sharpton, Eric Garner, media, New York, New York Post, news, Newspaper, NYC, Tabloid
Posted: February 24, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Mediasphere, U.S. News
Originally posted on KTLA:
Prosecutors have declined to file criminal charges against three Los Angeles police officers who shot and killed an unarmed man at the end of a televised pursuit in 2013.
Police surrounded a silver Corvette in downtown Los Angeles after a lengthy pursuit. The driver was fatally shot when he exited the vehicle on Dec. 13, 2013. (Credit: KTLA)
A Jan. 29 letter from Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey, released Monday, states there was “insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt” that Officers Armando Corral, Leonardo Ortiz and Michael Ayala “did not act in self-defense and in the defense of others” when they fatally shot Brian Beaird, a 51-year-old National Guard veteran.
Beaird led police on a dangerous pursuit across southeast L.A. County and downtown L.A. the night of Dec. 13, 2013, weaving his Corvette in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed.
The pursuit ended…
View original 101 more words
Posted: February 23, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, U.S. News | Tags: ABC7, California, LA, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, media, news, Palmdale, Robert Holguin, Twitter
Posted: February 23, 2015 Filed under: Art & Culture, Breaking News, Mediasphere, Politics | Tags: CPAC, media, news, Ted Cruz, Twitter
NEW TED CRUZ POSTER FOR CPAC GETTING PRINTED TOMORROW
Posted: February 23, 2015 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption
John Hindraker reports: A federal court has ruled that the Obama administration’s plan to issue work permits to illegal immigrants is–this is not exactly a surprise–illegal. But the Democrats are undeterred. Today, for the fourth time, they filibustered funding for the Department of Homeland Security, insisting that if Obama’s illegal program isn’t funded, the entire DHS must be shut down.
In the meantime, it has come to light that the Obama administration has been handing out illegal work permits for years.
The Center for Immigration Studies has received documents in response to a Freedom of Information Act request that indicate millions of such illegal work permits have been issued since 2009. Here is the CIS report in its entirety:
Vaughan Work Permits 2 16
Government data reveal that more than 7.4 million work permits (formally known as Employment Authorization Documents) were issued to aliens from 2009 to 2014. Because neither lawful permanent residents (green card holders) nor temporary work visa holders need a work permit, this amounts to a huge parallel immigrant work authorization system outside the numerical limits and categories set by Congress… Read the rest of this entry »