It was the first time Beijing is known to have sent fighter jets through the area, and comes days after Japan’s defense minister announced plans to step up engagement in the disputed South China Sea.
Jesse Johnson reports: The Air Self-Defense Force scrambled aircraft on Sunday as at least eight Chinese fighters and bombers — and possibly more than 40 — passed through a critical international entryway into the Western Pacific.
They used a legal but politically sensitive passage through Okinawa, apparently to send a message to Tokyo.
“This is a response to what Beijing will allege is a provocation by Japan in joining the U.S. in South China Sea drills despite Beijing warning Tokyo against participating.”
— University of Miami political science professor June Teufel Dreyer
The Chinese aircraft, which also included refueling tankers, flew over the Miyako Strait in Okinawa Prefecture but did not infringe Japanese airspace, the Defense Ministry said in Tokyo.
China said more than 40 aircraft were involved. They flew between Miyako Island near Taiwan and Okinawa’s main island on the way to “regular” patrols and drills in the Western Pacific, the Chinese Defense Ministry said in a statement posted to its website.
People’s Liberation Army Air Force spokesman Shen Jinke said the massive show of force, which included H-6K bombers, Su-30 fighters and tanker aircraft, conducted reconnaissance and early warning exercises, attacks on sea surface targets, and in-flight refueling “to test the air force’s fighting capacity on the high seas.”
Chinese bombers and fighters also conducted what Shen called a “regular patrol” in the East China Sea air defense identification zone (ADIZ) that China unilaterally declared in 2013.
“The regular Western Pacific drills and ADIZ patrols are necessary to safeguard national sovereignty, the country’s security and maintain peaceful development,” Shen said.
The air force will continue patrolling the East China Sea ADIZ and conduct training to improve its combat capacity in order to “uphold the legitimate rights and interests of China,” Shen added.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, the government’s top spokesman, told a news conference Monday that although the aircraft never violated Japanese airspace, Tokyo “will continue to devote every effort to vigilance and surveillance and rigorously enforce steps against intrusions into our airspace based on international law and the Self-Defense Forces law.”
While it was apparently the first time for Beijing to send fighter jets on the route, its air force first flew other types of jets over the strait in May 2015, China’s Defense Ministry said.
Defense Minister Tomomi Inada angered Beijing with a speech last week, in which she said Tokyo would “increase its engagement in the South China Sea through … Maritime Self-Defense Force joint training cruises with the U.S. Navy.”
There was a fiery reaction in Chinese state media, but experts said she had not broken new ground in Japan’s approach to the South China Sea.
Still, according to University of Miami political science professor June Teufel Dreyer, the Chinese flights were meant to send a message to Japan not to meddle in the South China Sea issue. Read the rest of this entry »
I recently expressed unbridled pride in my alma mater, The University of Chicago, in taking a stand for free speech and rejecting the notion of sheltering students from opposing or disturbing views with “safe spaces” and speech codes. Now, across town, my other alma mater, Northwestern University, appears intent on embracing the opposing view. Northwestern President, Morton Schapiro, has called faculty and students who adhere to views underlying the “Chicago Principle” as nothing more than “lunatics.” Fortunately, I only went to Northwestern for graduate school and was able to secure my undergraduate degree at Chicago in a free and robust community of free thought and free expression. The contrast in the two schools on different sides of the city captures the deep division among academics. However, as one of those “lunatics” and “idiots” denounced by Schapiro, there is no question in my view where the better educational environment can…
View original post 411 more words
By Darren Smith, Weekend Contributor.
Free-speech claimed another victim in the Middle-East after Jordanian Journalist Nahed Hattar, who is accused of sharing online an “anti-Islamic” cartoon, was assassinated outside a courthouse where he was facing trial for insulting Islam.
View original post 319 more words
Arcan ‘The Turk’ Cetin: The suspect in the shooting deaths of five people in a mall in Washington state has been named.
Online records show that Cetin was arrested in July 2015 on charges of assault in the fourth degree. KIRO reports that as a result of the charges, Cetin was ordered to undergo mental health counselling that he completed in March 2016.
During which time, he was ordered not to take drugs or drink alcohol. As of August 25, 2016, Cetin was found in compliance with the court order.
Cetin describes his nickname as “The Turk.” Read the rest of this entry »
The suspect in a shooting at a Washington state mall Friday that left five people dead has been caught, the Washington State Patrol said Saturday.
Arcan Cetin, 20, of Oak Harbor, was arrested, a spokesman for the state patrol said. The patrol first announced the arrest on Twitter at around 7:15 p.m. local time (10:15 p.m. ET).
Five victims — four females and a male — were killed after a gunman described as wearing a black T-shirt and black shorts opened fire inside a Macy’s department store at the Cascade Mall in Burlington just before 7 p.m. local time (10 p.m. ET). Oak Harbor is about 28 miles southwest of Burlington.
Security footage showed the man entering the mall, apparently without a weapon. In additional footage from about 10 minutes later, he “entered Macy’s with a rifle and fired multiple times,” Mt. Vernon police Lt. Chris Cammock said earlier.
The four female victims were pronounced dead Friday night, and the male victim was taken to a hospital where he died overnight, authorities said. Read the rest of this entry »
A top South Korean defense official admitted this week that Seoul has a plan in place to assassinate North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un.
The Asia Times reported that Defense Minister Han Min-koo made the remarks Wednesday during a parliamentary meeting in the country’s capital. He was asked about rumors circulating about such a plan.
“If it becomes clear the enemy is moving to attack the South with nuclear missiles, in order to suppress its aims, the concept is to destroy key figures and areas that include the North Korean leadership.”
— Defense Minister Han Min-koo
“If it becomes clear the enemy is moving to attack the South with nuclear missiles, in order to suppress its aims, the concept is to destroy key figures and areas that include the North Korean leadership,” Han said. He said Seoul is “considering launching a Special Forces unit to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.”
Meantime, North Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Ri Yong Ho railed against the United States in his United Nations General Assembly address, warning the U.S. of “tremendous consequences” for its aggression and justifying Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program and nuclear tests to defend North Korea from American hostility. Read the rest of this entry »
DEVELOPING: A suspect in Friday night’s shooting that killed five people at the Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wash. has been arrested, authorities said Saturday night. Read the rest of this entry »
Hillsdale College President Larry P. Arnn, National Review Senior Editor Jonah Goldberg, and Professor of Political Science John Marini discuss presidential candidate Donald J. Trump‘s role in conservatism in America.
Hillsdale College’s annual Constitution Day event celebrates the signing of the United States Constitution with lectures and panel discussions about the history of the Constitution and constitutional issues facing the nation today.
UPDATE 8:32 a.m. (PT): Authorities say they have recovered a rifle at the scene of the Cascade Mall shooting. The suspect is still at large, and a manhunt is underway. At this time, police do not have a name or positive identification on the suspect. Early descriptions based on witness accounts described the suspect as “Hispanic”; however, the race of the suspected gunman has not been confirmed by authorities.
Police say the suspect appeared to enter the mall without a weapon, and walked into a Macy’s approximately ten minutes later with a rifle. There, the suspect fired multiple times and killed four women at the scene (one man died of his injuries at Harborview Medical Center). Read the rest of this entry »
A man armed with a rifle entered a Macy’s store at a mall in Washington state, fatally shot five people and vanished into the night.
A man carrying a rifle entered a Macy’s store at a mall in Washington state, shot dead four women and a man, and vanished into the night, police said.
Authorities believe only one person fired the shots at Cascade Mall in Burlington on Friday night.
A search is underway for an armed man who headed toward Interstate 5 after the attack, said Sgt. Mark Francis, a spokesman for the state patrol.
— Gil Aegerter (@GilAegerter) September 24, 2016
Francis released a blurry surveillance picture of a man described as the suspect. His motive or relationship to the victims, if any, are unclear, he said.
The names of the victims were not immediately released.
Witnesses described chaotic scenes and confusion when the shooting started about 7 p.m. local time
Brandi Montreuil told CNN she was watching a movie at the mall when attendants suddenly told them to leave.
“I didn’t know anything,” she said. “The theater attendant came in and apologized for stopping the movie and said they were asked to have everyone leave immediately.”
At first, she thought it was a drill.
When they got outside, they saw numerous police vehicles, but no officers in sight, Montreuil said.
“We didn’t know if it was a fire so we were looking for smoke of some kind. Then a few officers started canvassing through the crowds asking if anybody saw anything.”
Law enforcement looking for single shooter. Please remain inside. Stay alert. Call 911 if you see anything suspicious. #CascadeMallShooting
— Skagit County DEM (@SkagitDEM) September 24, 2016
An officer “with a large gun started yelling for people to leave, and fast,” she said.
Armando Patino said he was working at a T-Mobile store near Macy’s when he heard the commotion.
“I hear one shot and and then stand kinda still and like two three other people start running out saying, ‘gun.’ ”
Some of the people dashed out of the Macy’s store, unsure of where to go. Read the rest of this entry »
The disclosure came as the FBI released its second batch of documents on Clinton’s email investigation.
President Barack Obama used a pseudonym in email communications with Hillary Clinton and others, according to FBI records made public Friday.
The disclosure came as the FBI released its second batch of documents from its investigation into Clinton’s private email server during her tenure as secretary of state.
The 189 pages the bureau released includes interviews with some of Clinton’s closest aides, such as Huma Abedin and Cheryl Mills; senior State Department officials; and even Marcel Lazar, better known as the Romanian hacker “Guccifer.”
In an April 5, 2016 interview with the FBI, Abedin was shown an email exchange between Clinton and Obama, but the longtime Clinton aide did not recognize the name of the sender.
“Once informed that the sender’s name is believed to be pseudonym used by the president, Abedin exclaimed: ‘How is this not classified?'” the report says. “Abedin then expressed her amazement at the president’s use of a pseudonym and asked if she could have a copy of the email.”
The State Department has refused to make public that and other emails Clinton exchanged with Obama. Lawyers have cited the “presidential communications privilege,” a variation of executive privilege, in order to withhold the messages under the Freedom of Information Act.
The report doesn’t provide more details on the contents of that particular email exchange, but says it took place on June 28, 2012, and had the subject line: “Re: Congratulations.” It may refer to the Supreme Court’s ruling that day upholding a key portion of the Obamacare law.
A report on the FBI’s June 7, 2016 interview with “Guccifer” confirms FBI Director James Comey‘s claim that Lazar falsely asserted that he’d surreptitiously accessed Clinton’s server.
“Lazar began by stating that he had never claimed to hack the Clinton server. [An FBI agent] then advised that Fix News had recently published an article which reported that Lazar had claimed to have to Clinton server. Read the rest of this entry »
“It does help but I think David is right; this is about Cruz much more than it is about Trump. And when he says it makes him a little cynical, I would have to say that that’s an understatement. It should make you very cynical.”
“I love the way Ted Cruz said ‘after searching his conscience.’ Whenever a politician says he is “searching his conscience,” you can assume it was a quick search of a very small space. I’m not saying anything personal about Cruz, but remember — he and Trump were the outsiders. And what was their calling card from the very beginning? “We don’t act like the Washington insiders. We don’t scratch each other’s back. We speak our conscience.”
“Well, it turns out in the end that they do what you’d expect of any other candidates, which is why — I mean, I don’t denounce them or deplore what they are doing here. This is business as usual. But weren’t they the candidates who were against the business as usual? Read the rest of this entry »
OH YES SHE DID: High School Cheerleading Coach Shelley Jo Duncan Got Nude With 14-Year-Old Male, Proposed Interesting Oral ActPosted: September 23, 2016
Is her husband the school district superintendent? YES!
Eric Owens reports: This week’s high school cheerleading coach arrested for allegedly getting undressed with a 14-year-old male and engaging in a festival of touching is Shelley Jo Duncan.
“Duncan called the teen ‘boo’ and ‘love’ in the romantic correspondence, according to police.”
For her full-time job, Duncan is an English teacher at an alternative high school in Tishomingo, Oklahoma, according to area CBS affiliate KXII-TV.
The very busy woman is also a reserve officer at the local community college in town — and married to Tishomingo Public Schools superintendent Kevin Duncan.
Agents with the Oklahoma Bureau of Investigation arrested Duncan, 48, on Friday morning in the alternative school parking lot.
“The 48-year-old Tishomingo High School cheerleading coach also described her plan to provide oral sex to the 14-year-old teen while simultaneously consuming a cough drop.”
Investigators began looking into Duncan’s extracurricular activities after the mother of the unidentified 14-year-old teen contacted Tishomingo police.
Did investigators find a large number of sexually explicit text messages? Yes!
Duncan called the teen “boo” and “love” in the romantic correspondence, according to police.
The 48-year-old Tishomingo High School cheerleading coach also described her plan to provide oral sex to the 14-year-old teen while simultaneously consuming a cough drop, police said.
The pair, separated in age by 34 years, used Snapchat to communicate — laboring under the apparent belief that their messages would eternally disappear into the Internet ether forever. Read the rest of this entry »