MSNBC Collapses to Fourth Place: Loses 12% of ViewersPosted: July 30, 2013
This year’s bad news for MSNBC has only gotten worse. The “Lean Forward” network has struggled in the ratings since the Boston Marathon bombings exposed the network’s glaring weakness when it comes to news gathering. MSNBC had hoped to turn that around by going all-in on with the Zimmerman, but it didn’t. Compared to last year in July, MSNBC was down -12% in total viewers and -4% in the 25-54 demo.
“Morning Joe” lost -4% of its viewers, -8% in the 25 to 54 demo. Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow, and Lawrence O’Donnell all took huge hits over last year. Hayes is down -27%, O’Donnell’s down -29%, and Maddow slid -19% in total viewers. The numbers were not much better in the 25-54 demo.
The only silver lining were slight viewer increases for Martin Bashir, Chris Matthews, and “The Cycle.”
In total day, MSNBC is now in fourth place, behind Fox News, CNN, and HLN.
Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC
- MSNBC Ratings Slump Continues in July (freebeacon.com)
- CNN Places Second In Total Day And Primetime In July; Tops MSNBC For Third Consecutive Month (cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com)
- MSNBC’s Collapse Began With The Departure of Keith Olbermann (kstreet607.com)
- CNN Places Second in Total Day and Primetime in July; Tops MSNBC for Third Consecutive Month (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Ratings: CNN Collapses; Primetime Loses to MSNBC (breitbart.com)
- MSNBC crushed in Zimmerman ratings race… (politico.com)
- MSNBC’s Collapse Began With The Departure of Keith Olbermann (politicususa.com)
- MSNBC Just Had Its Most Dreadful Ratings Period In 6 Years (businessinsider.com)
- MSNBC Comes In Distant Last Place During Saturday Night Zimmerman Trial Verdict Announcement (mediaite.com)