Pepsi-flavored Cheetos on shelves in Japan: Coming to the U.S.?Posted: August 15, 2013
Cheetos and Pepsi come together for a new snack flavor. (Mr. Brian / Flickr ; Susana Gonzalez / Bloomberg)
Pepsi and Cheetos are a natural combo. Anyone who’s ever indulged in an after-school snack knows they’re made for each other. There’s even an I Love Cheetos and Pepsi group on Facebook.
The folks at Frito-Lay have caught on too: Pepsi-flavored Cheetos are one of the newest snack flavors to hit shelves in Japan. We called Frito-Lay for comment but so far no word on if, or when, the flavor will make its way to the U.S. market.
According to an early product review on the Impulsive Buy, Pepsi-flavored Cheetos replace that classic cheese flavor with a fizzy cola flavor that actually fizzes in your mouth.
“The first sensation, which I did not expect, was a very acidic bite,” wrote Impulse Buy writer Steve. “It tries to capture the citrus notes of Pepsi, but it’s over the top. Too lemony. The sweeter cola flavor is there but it’s subtler and overpowered by the intense citrus.”
If the existence of a soda-flavored crunch snack is too much for you to wrap your brain around, the bag has pictures to explain everything. There is a cluster of Cheetos in one corner, and an ice cold Pepsi in the other.
This isn’t the first Pepsi-meets-savory variety, of course. Remember those Pepsi chicken chips in December?
And with hot dog pizza hybrids, “cronuts” and ramen burgers on the brain, we’re not fazed.
Is it just the latest in a line of Frankenstein foods? Or the best thing to hit snack shelves since fire hot Cheetos?
By Jenn Harris via latimes.com.
- Pepsi Cheetos (laughingsquid.com)
- Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos are a Thing (technabob.com)
- Bizarro Snack Time: Bacon-Flavored Doritos And Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos (consumerist.com)
- Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos (uniquedaily.com)
- Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos Exist, Prepare for the Apocalypse (foodbeast.com)
- Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos Exist (neatorama.com)
- Here Is a Review of Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos (slog.thestranger.com)
- Introducing: Pepsi-flavored Cheetos that fizz in your mouth (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Review of Frito Lay’s Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos (friendseat.com)
- Foodbeast: Pepsi-Flavored Cheetos Exist, Prepare For The Apocalypse (huffingtonpost.com)