Hot Rod Home Coffee Roasters, The Spirit of Invention : Homemade and Seriously Modified!Posted: August 28, 2013 | |
+ = !!!
Hot Rod Home Coffee Roasters: The Spirit of Invention
For some people who roast their own coffee, off-the-shelf home coffee roasting appliances don’t cut it. Either they don’t offer enough control of the roast, are too expensive, or just don’t allow the roaster (uh, the person that is) to express themselves. The homemade or seriously modified commercial roasters on this page are alternately amusing and intimidating in appearance, but whatever the case, they probably work very well. And if they don’t, you can bet they will be reconfigured endlessly until they do by their respective owners. A disclaimer on behalf of every roaster on this page: modifying electric and gas roasting equipment is dangerous. A 120 v shock isn’t half as bad as burning down your house though, and that is a serious possibility. When you build or modify a roaster, you assume a great deal of risk, and should be extremely cautious. You never, ever, ever walk away from a machine when it is in use. And you should unplug electric roasters even when they are off. Be safe, have fun. Most of these people are regulars on the Sweet Maria’s Homeroast List. Also see my pictures of coffee roasters…and of course, our Coffee Library page.
The PHOTOS in this archive of DIY Gizmo Hot-Rod Home-Roasting Madness are not to be missed. This is the most insane coffee-related site I’ve seen all year.
- Cross Country Coffee: New Harvest Coffee Roasters (sanfranolaco.com)
- Fat Nancy’s Beginners guide to ‘cupping’ coffee (fatnancysnewdiet.wordpress.com)
- How 3 Specialty Coffee Roasters Got Their Start (drinks.seriouseats.com)
- Temple Coffee Named among Best Roasters in America (fox40.com)
- Bay Coffee Roasters (bestchaisydney.wordpress.com)
- Costas – the coffee (lookingforlemmings.wordpress.com)
- Weekend Project: Hack Two Colanders Into A Coffee Roaster Drum (lifehacker.com.au)
- Clement Coffee Roasters (thecoffeeedit.wordpress.com)