Obama Gives Pay Raise to Federal Workers, Union ComplainsPosted: September 3, 2013
by WYNTON HALL
President Barack Obama issued an executive order on Friday to end a three-year freeze on federal pay scales and give federal workers a one percent pay raise.
Union boss J. David Cox Sr., head of the American Federation of Government Employees, called Obama’s pay raise “inadequate” and “pitiful” but a step in the right direction.
“Although the 1 percent is a pitiful amount that doesn’t begin to compensate for the furloughs and three years of frozen pay, it is a welcome development,” said Cox. “To call this raise inadequate is an understatement, but it is good news all the same.”
The pay increase will not presently extend to blue-collar federal workers, reports the Federal Times, but negotiations are ongoing.
Obama’s decision to increase federal pay will be used as a bargaining chip in the looming debt ceiling and spending reduction showdown with Republicans.
Obama indicated on Friday that his pay hike would extend to the military, a move designed to preempt GOP efforts to increase military pay by 1.8 percent.Source: Breitbart.com – “Obama Gives Pay Raise to Federal Workers, Union Complains”
- Obama Asks For A Paycut For Military and A Raise For Federal Emplyees (americanfreedombybarbara.com)
- Obama Punts on Syria, Sacks Troop Pay Raise (southernboydrawl.wordpress.com)
- Obama calls for 1 percent raise for federal civilian workers, increase faces tough battle in Congress (al.com)
- President Obama Orders 1 Percent Pay Hike to Avoid 34 Percent Pay Hike (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Workers of the world unite…against Obamacare (irishcentral.com)
- Workers of the world unite… against Obamacare (ConservativeActionAlerts.com)
- Federal employees wait to see if pay freeze will continue into 2014 (al.com)
- Debt Ceiling Rerun (papundits.wordpress.com)
- Stagnant Pay Puts Damper on Labor Day (hispanicbusiness.com)