Yahoo ceases China news and community servicesPosted: September 3, 2013
Yahoo’s news and community services have shut down in China, following the closure of its email service last month.
The Yahoo China home page now redirects users to a site run by Alibaba, which manages Yahoo’s Chinese operation.
In a farewell message which appears before the redirect, the firm says it is “adjusting its operations strategy”.
It also implies that its staff will be working on Alibaba content instead and thanks users for their support.
Yahoo has yet to comment.
The company faces big competition in the Chinese market
Social media services such as the Twitter-like platform offered by Weibo are hugely popular in China despite being openly censored.
Yahoo has a significant stake in Alibaba, the business-to-business online retailer which has been licensed to run its Chinese services.
Some analysts suggest that Alibaba’s own services have benefited from its relationship with Yahoo.
“Alibaba already has no need for a China Yahoo that’s been squeezed dry.”
- Yahoo China Shuts Down Its Web Portal (techcrunch.com)
- Yahoo China’s Days May Be Numbered (technewsworld.com)
- Yahoo China closes its web portal (panarmenian.net)
- Yahoo China stops providing news and community services, hinting at shutdown of its operations (thenextweb.com)
- Yahoo ceases China news and community services (busiandtech.wordpress.com)
- Yahoo!China Portal Shut Down (technode.com)
- Yahoo has pretty much given up on the Chinese market with shutdown of Yahoo China portal (techinasia.com)
- Yahoo ceases China news and community services (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)