GET YOUR THIRST ON: Toast to Mexican Independence Day with tequila, mezcal cocktailsPosted: September 13, 2013 Filed under: Entertainment, History | Tags: Cocktail, Mestizo, Mexico, Mezcal, Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, SPAIN, Tequila Leave a comment
Nina Terrero writes: Each year on September 16th, Mexicans around the world celebrate Mexico’s independence from Spain’s governance, which was secured during a revolt in 1810 by the Mestizos (those with mixed Spanish and indigenous Indian heritage) and Criollos (Mexicans of Spanish ancestry) who fought under the leadership of Father Miguel Hidalgo against the Spanish. In celebration of the upcoming holiday on Monday, we’re sharing our favorite cocktail recipes that incorporate traditional Mexican spirits – tequila and smoky mezcal – with which to toast to a momentous occasion in Mexico’s history.
Savory Kiwi Smash
Crisp tequila blanco is muddled with ripe, green kiwi and fragrant herbs – mint and basil! – in this refreshing cocktail that relies on the freshness of its ingredients to create something absolutely delicious and satisfying. Click here for the recipe.
Venture to the farmer’s market for the last of the season’s fresh, red raspberries which brings out the sweet perfume of tequila’s subtle aromas. Click here for the recipe.
Earthy, smoky mezcal – a spirit whose beginnings date back even earlier than that of tequila – is the centerpiece of this cocktail that’s made sweet with the addition of sweet passion fruit juice and crowned with garnish of grilled pineapple. Click here for the recipe.
Avocado & Mezcal Cocktail
Treat yourself or wow guests with this innovative cocktail that combines the creaminess of avocado with white mezcal and a spiced rim. Click here for the recipe.
NBCLatino – Toast to Mexican Independence Day by Nina Terrero, @thenininsky
- Mysterious Mezcal (thetwodrunkgirls.com)
- It doesn’t get more traditional than mezcal (originbeverage.wordpress.com)
- 5 Mezcals Everyone Needs to Experience… with La Niña del Mezcal (davemillersmexico.wordpress.com)
- First Look: Mezcal, Cocktails, and Seasonal Mexican Bites at La Urbana in San Francisco (drinks.seriouseats.com)
- Taste 120 tequilas and mezcals at Northwest Tequila Fest Aug. 24 (phinneywood.com)
- Review & Recipe | Piedra Azul Tequila (circleoffood.com)
- Tequila Day – better late than never (gigglewater411.com)
- How to make the ultimate apple chutney (metro.co.uk)
- Bar Amá: gourmet Mexican cuisine with a fun ambiance and a destination for lovers of tequila and mezcal (stacybrecht.wordpress.com)