RIGHT ON: Gun Group Steps Up, Offers Free Shotguns to Florida Residents to Protect Themselves from CrimePosted: September 25, 2013
Members of the Florida chapter of the Armed Citizen Project, which is based in Texas, began advertising the program on fliers in the Sunshine Gardens neighbourhood near Orlando. The neighbourhood is about 25 miles (40 kilometres) south of Sanford, a city thrust into an international debate about self-defence and race after neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old.
Zimmerman says he shot the teen in self-defence and was cleared of all charges in Martin’s death.
Ron Ritter, president of the Armed Citizen Project of Florida, said the donated guns will reach their new owners through participating dealers or gun shops. The new owners will have to pass a background check and also complete gun safety training, Ritter said Wednesday.
“It’s not one of those things when we hand a gun to someone and don’t hear from them again,” Ritter said. “We’re going to keep in touch if someone is receiving a donation.”
The Armed Citizen Project website says it is focusing its efforts on “mid to high crime” neighborhoods.
“If my neighbor is armed, my neighborhood is safer,” Ritter said.
It’s not the first city where the group has offered free guns and training; the first was Houston, where residents began receiving their guns earlier this year.
The Associated Press – National Post
- Shotgun giveaway in Orlando (wptv.com)
- Gun Group Plans Shotgun Giveaway In Central Florida (wctv.tv)
- Gun group plans Florida shotgun giveway (newsnet5.com)
- Gun Group Offering Free Shotguns To Residents To Protect Themselves (tampa.cbslocal.com)
- Gun group plans shotgun giveaway in central Fla. (star-telegram.com)
- Gun group plans shotgun giveaway in central Fla. (stltoday.com)
- Free shotguns offered to residents of Orlando, Fla. neighbourhood (theprovince.com)