Put Away Your Phone and Just Eat Your FoodPosted: October 7, 2013
The Experts Have Spoken: Instagram Pictures of Food Will Ruin Your Meal
Eliana Dockterman reports: When your friend stops you from digging into your delicious meal so that she can Instagram the food, it spoils the eating experience. And there’s science to prove that.
A new study in the Journal of Consumer Psychology says that over-exposure to food photos on Instagram ruins your meal. Marketing professors at Brigham Young University asked 232 people to look at and rate pictures of food.
Half of the participants looked a pictures of sweet food (cakes, pastries), half at pictures of salty food (pretzels, chips). Both groups were then asked to have a salty food snack. Those who had looked at pictures of salty food enjoyed their snack less.
“In a way, you’re becoming tired of that taste without even eating the food,” study coauthor Ryan Elder said on the Brigham website. “It’s sensory boredom — you’ve kind of moved on. You don’t want that taste experience anymore.”
- Can food photos on Instagram, Pinterest spoil your appetite? (ctvnews.ca)
- Hey, Instagram Users: Science Confirms You’re Ruining Your Meal (fastcompany.com)
- Looking at Your Friend’s Food Pics Could Ruin Your Appetite (newsy.com)
- “Instagraming” Can Lead to Weight Loss, Study Finds (counselheal.com)
- Looking at Your Friend’s Food Pics Could Ruin Your Appetite (on.aol.com)
- Hoping to lose weight? Look at pictures of cake (thetimes.co.uk)
- Too Many Food Pics Can Ruin Appetites, Shows Study (webpronews.com)
- Need to lose weight? Try the FOODSTAGRAM diet: Instagram photos of meals found to curb appetite (dailymail.co.uk)
- Need to lose weight? Try the FOODSTAGRAM diet: Instagram photos of meals found to curb appetite (thisismoney.co.uk)