Laws are for the Little People: Sebelius Refuses to Appear at Congressional HearingPosted: October 20, 2013
Kristen Welker, NBC News White House Correspondent, reports: Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius will not testify at a congressional hearing Thursday into breakdowns in the rollout of the federal Affordable Care Act.
An HHS official confirmed Saturday that the secretary would not attend, citing a conflict in her schedule.
“We are in close communication with the committee and have expressed our desire to be responsive to their request,” the official said.
The hearing, before the House Energy and Commerce Committee, was scheduled this week to address glitches in the Obamacare website. Chairman Fred Upton, R-Mich., ripped Sebelius when initial reports indicated she would not attend.
Saturday, Speaker of the House John Boehner joined the chorus blasting Sebelius in a post on Twitter:
— Speaker John Boehner (@SpeakerBoehner) October 19, 2013
Since its launch, on Oct. 1, the site has been plagued by crashes as Americans to try log on and enroll for health insurance. The Obama administration has conceded that the launch has been rockier than it had hoped.
- HHS Secretary Sebelius refuses to appear before Congress, attends gala in Boston instead (wchildblog.com)
- Sebelius spotlighted over Obamacare sign-up glitches (upi.com)
- Sebelius on the Run (online.wsj.com)
- SEBELIUS ON THE RUN:The HHS Secretary Refuses to Testify About ObamaCare’s Rollout. (ruthfullyyours.com)
- Sebelius feels pressure to testifyon ObamaCare website issues (foxnews.com)
- Is Sebelius about to get the ax? (kansascity.com)
- Congressional fight over Obamacare turns to website woes (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Sebelius Scrutinized for Obamacare Sign-Up Glitches (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Sebelius: No, we are not starting the ObamaCare site from scratch, and no, I do not have time to testify before Congress (hotair.com)