FLASH MOB: 100-Strong Insta-Posse Swarm Oregon School to Support Teen Standing Up to BullyPosted: October 21, 2013 | |
Linsey Bald reports: Bullying is all about the numbers. The so-called strong flout their perceived position on those they distinguish as weak. “Ganging-up” gives those in the numbers the feeling they can impose their will and verbal abuse on whomever they want.
Not in this case. Score one for all those being bullied. MSN Now carried the inspiring story Saturday of Oregonian teen Halsey Parkerson, a South Salem High School student who, backed by a flash mob of at least 100 new friends, got his bully to back down.
The video, seen here, shows Parkerson, backed by his new friends, confronting his bully, who offers a quick and sheepish apology. “I apologize; I take it all back,” the unnamed bully says.
It started last week Thursday when Parkerson’s aunt met him for lunch and overheard the bully jeering Parkerson as having no friends and that no one cares about him. Parkerson told his aunt that he is bullied all of the time. So the aunt took matters into her own hands. Via a single Facebook post, the aunt invited over 100 of her friends to rally around her nephew.
The response was overwhelming.
She returned on Friday with a mob of cars in tow. Car after car pulled into the high school parking lot, so much so that the principal came out to see what was happening. When told the story of his bullied student, the principal allowed the flash mob to continue. Over 100 people got out and followed Parkerson to the bully, who was besieged by the number of friends backing him and was forced to take his words back.
“It’s just unbelievable,” Parkerson said. “I now know whenever I get bullied I’ll raise my head up and say, ‘Sorry, I have too many friends to think I’m being bullied.’”
Halsey knows his story isn’t just about one kid being bullied, it’s a message to all the Halsey Parkersons.
“If you’re being bullied, stand up and express yourself,” he said.
- Bully Apologizes After Aunt Asks Facebook Group to Support Nephew (mashable.com)
- Bully Forced To Apologize After Facebook Users Rally Outside His School (buzzfeed.com)
- Bully Apologizes After 100 Facebook Friends Show Up for Bullied Teen – Video (news.softpedia.com)
- Halsey Parkerson, Bullied, Gets Support From 100 People to Get Apology From Bully (theepochtimes.com)
- Aunt Organizes Facebook Event to Confront Nephew’s Bully at School…and a Lot of People Showed Up (theblaze.com)
- Bully apologises after 100 Facebook users stage rally outside school to support teenage victim (metro.co.uk)
- Bully Forced To Apologize After Facebook Users Rally Outside His School (entertainably.com)
- Bully Apologizes When 100 Of Victim”s Facebook Friends Appear (youviewed.com)
- Bully Apologizes After Aunt Asks Facebook Group to Support Nephew (theloveoftech.wordpress.com)