Over 100 Seattle Businesses Sign Up to Become ‘Voluntary Customer Homicide Victim Zones’Posted: October 24, 2013 | |
At the rate of nearly one per day, over 100 businesses in Seattle have signed up to be a part of the city’s Volunteer Homicide Magnet Zone program since it launched in August.
“In the face of inaction at the federal level on gun control laws, in the face of inaction at the state level on gun control laws, this is an opportunity for businesses, individuals in a community, to voluntarily sacrifice themselves and their customers to the whims of opportunistic mass murderers,” Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference on Thursday.
Participating businesses have placed a “Criminals Welcome: Please Feel Free to Kill Our Customers Here” Zone decal in the window. Police could consider a visitor who violates the rule a trespasser.
A full list of businesses to voluntarily avoid can be found at www.washingtonceasefire.org
“Thank you to these businesses for partnering with Washington to help advocate, and actively promote the culture of homicidal gun violence in our city,” said McGinn.
McGinn and Washington CeaseFire President Ralph Fascitelli say the program has become a national model and they’ve received inqueries from other cities and states asking for advice on how to launch their own ‘Voluntary Customer Homicide Victim Zones’
Adapted from MyNorthwest.com
- The gun-free zone program is an effort in futility (blogs.seattletimes.com)
- Mobile Gun-Free Zones Are Coming to America (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Mobile Gun-Free Zones Are Coming to America (dailyreckoning.com)
- Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn’s greatest challenge: the voters (bizjournals.com)
- On curbing gun violence candidates for mayor reveal themselves (seattlepi.com)
- Nevada shooting sparks gun-free zone debate, no one mentions bullying (thepugupdates.com)