[VIDEO] How the Government Makes You Fat: Gary Taubes on Obesity, Carbs, and Bad SciencePosted: October 27, 2013 | |
This is an item I saved from last July, that’s relevant again, in light of the British study that’s been in the news lately (including here) this video is worth revisiting, if you’ve not seen it. It’s the best myth-busting interview about public health I’ve seen all year.
Zach Weissmueller writes: “The government can come along and, with all the best intentions, cause enormous problems” says Gary Taubes, a science writer and author most recently of Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It .
Reason.tv‘s Zach Weissmueller talked with Taubes about his controversial work in the world of nutrition and epidemiology, including Taubes’ hypothesis that carbohydrates, not dietary fat, overeating, or lack of physcial activity, are the primary factor causing obesity. Other topics include the inability of governments and large informational institutions such as the American Heart Association to adapt to new information, the mess of bad legislation and bad science that Taubes believes led to America‘s obesity problem, and why many libertarians seem to love the Paleo Diet.
Taubes’ work has unsurprisingly invited criticism from scientists, government officials and journalists, even in the pages of Reason Magazine, where he went back and forth with Reason contributor Michael Fumento.
Fumento on Taubes – http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/big-fat-fake
Taubes’ response – http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/an-exercise-in-vitriol-rather
Fumento’s rebuttal – http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/gary-taubes-tries-to-overwhelm
Approximately 9:30. Interview and Editing by Zach Weissmueller.
- The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes a must read for anyone with an interest in weight loss. (theweightlosspeople.wordpress.com)
- We Don’t Know What to Eat (psmag.com)
- Everything You’ve Been Told About How to Eat Is Wrong (alternet.org)
- Catalyst says consensus wrong on cholesterol – but unquestionable on climate (joannenova.com.au)
- The fabulous fat farce (trynabpainfreemomma.wordpress.com)
- Everything You’ve Been Told About How to Eat Is Wrong (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Gary Taubes (sourcewatch.org)
- Modern science is wrong: Dietary fats don’t make you fat (bangordailynews.com)
- Cause of Obesity; Science looking at a Primal Cure (kaleandkettles.com)