BOOK: Obama Said He’s ‘Really Good At Killing People’Posted: November 3, 2013
This will not go over well for the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner.
According to the new book “Double Down,” in which journalists Mark Halperin and John Heilemann chronicle the 2012 presidential election, President Barack Obama told his aides that he’s “really good at killing people” while discussing drone strikes.
Peter Hamby of The Washington Post reported the moment in his review of the book.
The claim by the commander-in-chief is as indisputable as it is grim.
Obama oversaw the 2009 surge in Afghanistan, 145 Predator drone strikes in NATO’s 2011 Libya operations, the May 2011 raid that killed Osama bin Laden, and drone strikes that killed the Pakistani Taliban leader and a senior member of the Somali-based militant group al-Shabab this week.
Under Obama U.S. drone operators began practicing “signature strikes,” a tactic in which targets are chosen based on patterns of suspicious behavior and the identities of those to be killed aren’t necessarily known. (The administration counts all “military-age males” in a strike zone as combatants.)
Obama has also embraced the expansion of capture/kill missions by Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) after it developed into the primary counterterrorism tool of the Bush administration.
One JSOC operator told investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill, author of “Dirty Wars: The World Is A Battlefield,” that operations under Obama became “harder, faster, quicker — with the full support of the White House.”
Scahill, who also made a “Dirty Wars” documentary, told NBC News that Obama will “go down in history as the president who legitimized and systematized a process by which the United States asserts the right to conduct assassination operations around the world.”
So although President Obama has proven to be “really good at killing people,” the demonstration has not necessarily been noble.
- US dismisses claims drone strike hurt Pakistan talks (dawn.com)
- Last Year President Obama Reportedly Told His Aides That He’s ‘Really Good At Killing People’ (catholicglasses.com)
- Obama: “I’m Really Good at Killing People” (aconservativeedge.wordpress.com)
- Author: Obama Stated he Was Really Good at Killing People (darkgovernment.com)
- Last Year President Obama Reportedly Told His Aides That Heâs âReally Good At Killing Peopleâ (rinf.com)
- Pakistani Taliban Leader Reportedly Killed in Drone Strike (world.time.com)