Credibility Crisis: NBC Interviews President, Concludes Obama ‘Does Not Believe He Lied’Posted: November 9, 2013
John Nolte reports: NBC’s Chuck Todd scored a huge interview with President Obama Thursday and opened things by immediately drilling down on the president’s relentlessly repeated lie that under ObamaCare you can keep your current insurance plan if you like it. The full interview is even more impressive than the clips that have been going around. Even after he elicits a “sorry” from Obama, Todd keeps after the point for almost ten minutes.
Ultimately, though, Todd came away with the impression that Obama doesn’t believe he lied. And Todd is probably right, which is a little unnerving.
During his own interview on the Hugh Hewitt show Friday with guest host Carol Platt Liebau, Todd said, “You know, he does not believe he lied on this, and that’s the sense I get.” Here is Todd’s entire quote:
You know, he does not believe he lied on this, and that’s the sense I get. I mean, I think that that’s, he’s taken issue with that before with folks off the record, and I got it’s a sensitive issue, felt like he did not sit there and say he intentionally lied. He said that he wanted to, he thought he was going to be able to keep this promise. I thought what was revealing in that answer, when I asked him that direct question about this, was this a political lie that you started to believe it, was he talked about well, you know, it turns out we had trouble in crafting the law.
If Obama has convinced himself he didn’t lie, that borders on pathological. We now know that as far back as 2010 the president knew eight to nine million people would lose their health insurance. We have him on video admitting to that:
The 8 to 9 million people you refer to that might have to change their coverage — keep in mind out of the 300 million Americans that we are talking about — would be folks who the CBO, the Congressional Budget Office, estimates would find the deal in the exchange better. Would be a better deal. So, yes, they would change coverage because they got more choice and competition.
The key phrase is Obama admitting that those 8 or 9 million “might have to change their coverage.” And that video is the smoking gun equivalent of finding video of President George W. Bush admitting he knew all along that Iraq had no WMD.
And yet, straight through the 2012 election, Obama continued his campaign to reassure the American people that they could keep their insurance. Period.
Obama’s brazen and reckless lying is bad enough. But if Todd is correct (and I think he is) that Obama doesn’t believe or understand that he lied, that means it can and will happen again.
- NBC’s Chuck Todd: I Was ‘Surprised’ I Had to Wring Apology Out of Obama (mediaite.com)
- NBC’s Chuck Todd: Obama ‘Does Not Believe He Lied’ (thenewsdoctors.com)
- Chuck Todd thinks Obama should do a town hall meeting, maybe with Bobby Jindal or Rick Perry. (althouse.blogspot.com)
- Obama ‘Does Not Believe He Lied’ (conservativebyte.com)
- Obama to NBC’s Chuck Todd: ‘I’m Sorry’ That Americans Are Losing Health Coverage | Mediaite (tribalgirl64.newsvine.com)
- Fact-Checking Obama’s Interview With Todd Chuck (uspoliticalnow.wordpress.com)
- SCARY: Serial Liar Obama Does Not Believe He Misled On O-Care (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Fact-Checking Obama’s Interview With Todd Chuck (Page 2) (uspoliticalnow.wordpress.com)
- Chuck Todd After Interviewing Obama: “He Does Not Believe He Lied” When He Told Americans They Could Keep Their Health Plans… (redflagnews.com)