[VIDEO] High School Senior’s Epic Takedown of Common CorePosted: November 14, 2013
Robby Soave reports: A Tennessee high school senior is receiving widespread attention for an eloquent speech he made against Common Core at a school board meeting.
Ethan Young, a senior at Farragut High School in Knox County, Tenn., made an impassioned argument for dropping the new national education guidelines, which he called “a glowing conflict of interest … that illustrate a mistrust of teachers.”
“Somewhere our Founding Fathers are turning in their graves,” he said.
Young reserved particularly harsh judgment for the nationwide standardized testing required by Common Core.
“If everything I learned in high school was a measurable objective: I haven’t learned anything,” he said.
Young’s remarks come amid mounting negative publicity for the Common Core standards, which are currently being implemented in most states. American Federation of Teachers president Randi Weingarten — a support of Common Core — recently said its rollout has been even more disastrous than Obamacare. (RELATED: Common Core textbooks arrive late, filled with errors)
Despite this, David Axelrod — former adviser to President Obama and current director of the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago — recently tried to give credit for creation of the standards to the Obama administration. He told attendees at a university event that Common Core was an Obama initiative. In reality, the standards were pioneered by the National Governor’s Association.
- ‘Somewhere Our Founding Fathers Are Turning In Their Graves:’ High School Senior’s Epic Takedown Of Common Core (patdollard.com)
- High School Senior’s Testimony Devastates Common Core (freepatriot.org)
- Common Core implementation called ‘worse’ than Healthcare.gov launch (washingtonpost.com)
- Common Core’s chaotic debut has union president calling for Obamacare-like ‘midcourse corrections’ (educationviews.org)
- Professors urge Catholic schools to reject Common Core standards (twitchy.com)
- Axelrod claims Common Core ‘an Obama initiative’ (eagnews.org)
- Common Core not likely to get Senate floor debate in regular session, says GOP leader (al.com)
- Who Needs Common Sense When We Have Common Core? (kgjjg911.wordpress.com)
- Student draws massive applause for his passionate speech against Common Core standards (eagnews.org)