What Could Go Wrong? Harry Reid Likely to Go Nuclear Today Because, ReasonsPosted: November 21, 2013
Washington (CNN) – Because of frustration over Republicans blocking President Obama’s nominees, Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid is likely to launch the so-called nuclear option Thursday, senior Democratic sources tell CNN.
It’s known as the nuclear option because it is a rules change that could make a partisan environment even more divisive – because it would take away a sacrosanct right for any party in the Senate minority – the right to filibuster.
Democratic sources tell CNN Reid’s plan would scrap the Republicans ability to filibuster executive branch nominees and judges, but exclude U.S. Supreme Court nominees. Under current rules it takes 60 votes to break a filibuster. The rule change would allow most Obama nominees to be confirmed by 51 votes – a simple Senate majority.
The Democrats currently have a 55-45 majority in the Senate.
Today, the Democrats will do their best to lose that majority
- As panic spreads, Reid threatens permanent changes for short-term political survival (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Harry Reid Threatens ‘Nuclear Option’ — And Soon (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Harry Reid is set to go nuclear (washingtonpost.com)
- GOP’s existential test: Why they’re really escalating a nuclear option crisis (salon.com)
- This Time a Suicidal Harry Reid Will Go Nuclear On Their Own Party and Screw Themselves Permanently Just so they can “Go Nuclear on Their GOP Asses” mocking the lack of self-awareness in a lame-ass headline at (crooksandliars.com)