Report: Starving Syrian Rebels Eat Lion from Damascus ZooPosted: November 30, 2013
A shocking picture has emerged which seemingly shows the extent food shortages and desperation have gripped the Syrian rebels and their communities – so much so that a zoo’s lion was butchered for its meat.
The men – possibly rebel fighters – are seen carving pieces from the big cat believed to have been taken from Al-Qarya al-Shama Zoo.
The photo has been shared widely on social media, but its legitimacy could not be independently verified.
Residents of Ghouta are believed to have been behind the slaughter – a suburb of Damascus that has been marred by starvation.
Hunger is reportedly also spreading across Damascus, the capital of Syria, particularly in rebel-held blockaded regions where food is scarce.
- Our Allies in Syria Just Ate a Lion From a Zoo (ivoter.com)
- Starving Syrians butcher a zoo’s LION to eat in worst sign yet of how desperate civilians are for food (worldobserveronline.com)
- Zoo Lion Killed By Starving Syrians Butcher (spyghana.com)
- Syrian Rebels Claim They Killed 250 Hezbollah in Damascus (news.antiwar.com)
- 160 killed as Syrian rebels try to end siege (sfgate.com)
- Starving Syrians Butcher A Zoo’s Lion To Eat (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Slaughtered lion ‘shows depth of Syrian hunger’ (theweek.co.uk)