Priorities: Private sector has shrunk in 41 states under ObamaPosted: December 6, 2013
Michael Bastasch writes: The Obama administration is painting a much rosier picture of American jobs than the data supports, two researchers claim.
They have been touting their recent study showing that nearly every state has seen its private sector shrink under the Obama administration.
“Our findings show that for many states, the impact of the recession and slow recovery on the private sector has been more severe than the official economic data indicates,” Keith Hall, a senior fellow at the free-market Mercatus Center, told The Daily Caller News Foundation.
Hall and fellow researcher Robert Greene found that 41 states saw their private sectors shrink from 2007 to 2012. Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Idaho and Nevada have seen the largest contractions in their respective private sectors — in 2012, Nevada’s has shrunk 13 percent below 2007 levels.
However, only three states have seen their private sectors grow more than two percent since 2007. North Dakota saw its private sector explode nearly 25 percent in five years largely due to a boom in oil production brought about by hydraulic fracturing.
Alaska also saw its private sector grow by nearly 7 percent. Texas, which is often touted as one of the best states for business, saw its private sector grow nearly 6 percent from 2007 to 2012.
“Texas is the only state that ranks in the top five for both current economic climate and growth prospects (it ranks first and second respectively),” according to Forbes magazine. “There are 116 of the 1,000 largest public and private companies in the U.S. based in Texas, including giants like AT&T, ExxonMobil and Dell. The Texas economy is expected to expand 4.2 percent annually over the next five years, which is second best in the nation…” More via The Daily Caller
- [VIDEO] Gibbs: Maybe the White House will start being honest about ObamaCare now (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Why I Am an Anarcho-Capitalist (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Obama’s Tragically-Delayed Realization: ‘Probably no bigger gap’ between private and public sector than info technology (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Even President Obama is sounding the procurement alarm (corinsights.wordpress.com)
- Obama administration: Private sector runs better websites (washingtontimes.com)
- SHOCKER: Despite improvements, Obamacare website would still be a private sector failure. “Obama a… (pjmedia.com)
- US / Government-financed jobs account for more than 25 percent of nonfarm payroll jobs in seven states (jobmarketmonitor.com)