[VIDEO] 3 Reasons Anchorman 2 is The Most Important Movie of The YearPosted: December 19, 2013
As Anchorman 2, the long-awaited sequel to 2004’s Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, hits theaters, it’s worth pointing out Will Ferrell’s fake newscaster is not just wildly entertaining but hugely instructive in our media-soaked age.
Here are three reasons why Anchorman 2 is already the most important movie of the year.
1. It Foregrounds Media Cliches and Pat Formulas.
When Ron Burgundy and team create ridiculous, over-the-top news features such as “Rip the Lid Off It!,” it’s impossible to ever take a special report or interruption for breaking news uncritically ever again.
2. It (de)humanizes the Production of “News.”
By calling attention to the actual production process of “news” and the often-considerable limitations of the people who make media, the Anchorman franchise underscores that news is invented, not discovered.
3. It Eviscerates the Media’a Hero Complex
For these reasons and more – and especially at a time when even venerable media outlets such as 60 Minutes is effectively firing correspondents for inaccurate reports and blatantly sucking up to power – Anchorman 2 and its predecessor should be required viewing for everyone who takes media literacy seriously.
About two minutes. Produced by Todd Krainin. Written and hosted by Nick Gillespie.
- ‘Anchorman 2’ Is Packed With Laughs (rollingstone.com)
- Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues By Phil Noir (ingoodtastedenver.com)
- Will Ferrell Says “Kanye Didn’t Want To Leave” The Set Of Anchorman 2 (VIDEO) (boog3rsugar.wordpress.com)
- Anchorman 2 Marketing Strategy (cloveless.wordpress.com)
- ‘Anchorman 2′ Cast Brawls With Jon Stewart (b96.cbslocal.com)
- Film Review: Ron Burgundy Returns in “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” (popinsomniacs.com)
- Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues Trailers (everyjoe.com)
- Burgundy Blitz Should Pay Off For ‘Anchorman 2’ And Will Ferrell (forbes.com)
- Will Ferrell And Judd Apatow Spotted With Baxter At ‘Anchorman 2’ NY Premiere – Part 6 (contactmusic.com)