Washington state lawmaker calls Arizona ‘racist wasteland’Posted: December 23, 2013
Talk about unsportsmanlike conduct.
A Washington state lawmaker took to Twitter on Sunday following a 17-10 loss by his beloved Seattle Seahawks to the Arizona Cardinals, ending Seattle’s 14-game home winning streak.
“Losing a football game sucks,” Democratic Rep. Joe Fitzgibbon wrote in a now-deleted message. “Losing to a desert racist wasteland sucks a lot.”
“Upset re hawks loss, and failure of smart immigration reform–shouldn’t have conflated the 2 though,” he wrote. “Happy holidays, better for both in ’14.”
Fitzgibbon, who was first elected in 2010 and didn’t face any opposition when he ran for re-election last year, told The Associated Press that people were taking his trash talk a little too seriously.
“If folks are going to take that too seriously, then I’m sorry about that,” Fitzgibbon said.
Fitzgibbon said people in Washington state “have not appreciated” how Arizona has treated immigrants, citing a 2010 immigration law that was subject to a legal challenge from the federal government. Fitzgibbon said Arizona leaders need to look at changing laws that he believes amount to racial profiling.
Washington state Republican Rep. J.T. Wilcox said in his own post on Twitter that Fitzgibbon’s message “makes us all look bad.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Wash. lawmaker calls Arizona “racist wasteland” (kxly.com)
- Washington state lawmaker calls Arizona ‘a desert racist wasteland’ after Seahawks loss (rawstory.com)
- Wash. lawmaker calls Arizona ‘racist wasteland’ (kansascity.com)
- Lawmaker sore over Hawk loss calls Arizona ‘racist wasteland’ (seattletimes.com)
- WA lawmaker calls AZ ‘racist wasteland’ (abc15.com)
- Wash. state Dem. Rep. calls Arizona ‘racist wasteland’ after Seahawks loss (examiner.com)