Drink, Purge: Kim Jong-un: North Korean Leader ‘Was Very Drunk’ When Ordering ExecutionsPosted: December 24, 2013
According to the Japanese newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun, the pair questioned an order from the dictator to hand over control of a business to the military. Sources told the newspaper Kim was “upset” when they said they needed to check with “Director Jang” first.
The leader’s uncle, who was removed from power and killed as part of a recent high-profile purge, was head of the ruling Workers’ Party administrative department.
His close aides, first deputy director Ri Ryong-ha and another deputy Jang Su-gil, were among the first prominent figures to be executed in late November.
According the Yomiuri’s source, Kim was “very drunk” when he ordered they be killed.
The paper said that it was intelligence from the first two deaths that made the South Korean government aware Jang’s own execution was “inevitable”. “Those who were close [to the two aides] were surprised by their execution, and made phone calls to their friends living abroad, and the South Korean government [spy agency] wiretapped their phone conversations,2 the newspaper said.
In all, at least eight people from Jang’s circle were executed in the purge – alongside the director himself.
Meanwhile, South Korean online media outlet the Daily NK said it had reports from North Korean defectors that family and friends of Jang had been arrested in the days after his death, in accordance with the country’s system of guilt by association.
Last week, South Korea’s President Park Geun-hye said there was a “grave and unpredictable situation” in North Korea following the shock execution of Kim’s powerful uncle.
- Was Kim Jong Un wasted when he started that bloody purge of executions? (hotair.com)
- Kim Jong-un ‘very drunk’ when he ordered execution of uncle’s two aides (telegraph.co.uk)
- Kim Jong-un “Very Drunk” When Ordering Excecutions (gizmodo.co.uk)
- ‘DRUNK’ WITH POWER? N. Korea leader reportedly issued intoxicated kill order (foxnews.com)
- Kim Jong-un: North Korean leader ‘was very drunk’ when ordering executions (timesofindia.indiatimes.com)
- North Korean Officials Flood to China, Possible Mass Defection (koreabang.com)
- Kim Jong Un ‘Very Drunk’ Ordering Executions (newser.com)
- North Korean tyrant Kim Jong-Un was ‘very drunk’ when he ordered deaths of … – Daily Mail (dailymail.co.uk)
- Rivalries Within North Korean Elite Led to Purge, South’s Spy Chief Says (nytimes.com)
- Kim Jong-Un Reportedly Drunk When Ordering Execution of Aides (breitbart.com)