Coercing ConformityPosted: December 29, 2013
A government that creates the climate for bullying is the worst of the bullies
Mrs. Clinton required translation into the language of truth, as she generally does when her lips are moving. By the “rights” of “all people” to “worship” as “they choose,” she meant the sharia-based desire of Muslim supremacists to foreclose critical examination of Islam. Madame Secretary, you see, was speechifying before her friends at the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) — the bloc of 56 Muslim countries plus the Palestinian territories.
At that very moment in July 2011, Christians were under siege in Egypt, Syria, Sudan, Iraq, and Iran — being gradually purged from those Islamic countries just as they’d been purged from Turkey, which hosted Mrs. Clinton’s speech. As Christians from the Middle East to West Monroe, La., can tell you, the Left and its Obama vanguard are not remotely interested in their “rights . . . to worship the way they choose.”
What they choose, after all, is to honor Christian tenets about sexuality, freedom of conscience, and the sanctity of life. Those tenets, just like honest criticism of Islam, are consigned to the category Clinton calls “what we abhor.” And if progressives abhor something, it somehow always becomes everyone’s duty to make certain that those who embrace that something “don’t feel that they have . . . support.”
Of course, they do have support . . . at least on paper. The First Amendment protects all of us against government suppression of speech. But the amendment is just a parchment promise if the government against which it is a safeguard actively undermines it. That is today’s United States government: rendering free expression an illusory right by inciting the mob, by extortionate lawfare tactics that exhaust the resources and energy of the citizen.
That brings us to the most compelling of all the points Mark Steyn made this week in his trenchant defense of free expression: When it comes to stifling speech, and thus suppressing thought, it is increasingly frivolous to distinguish between “state coercion” and “cultural coercion.”
- Coercing Conformity; Subjugating the First Amendment (joemiller.us)
- Hillary Clinton: Coercing Conformity (tomohalloran.com)
- ANDREW McCARTHY: COERCING CONFORMITY **** (ruthfullyyours.com)
- israpundit: Hillary Clinton undermining free speech (israpundit.com)
- Coercing Conformity. A government that creates the climate for bullying is the worst of the bullies. (sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com)
- Ayatollah’s Comments on Women at Odds With Abuses at Home (cnsnews.com)
- Death for those who don’t sexually conform in Islam. (godlessvagina.wordpress.com)
- Coercing Conformity (nyfirearms.com)