New York Times Effort Unravelling, Sources on Ground in Benghazi Charge: ‘Completely False’Posted: December 29, 2013
Adam Housley reports: Fifteen months after the Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi which killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, the narrative of the attack continues to be shaped, and reshaped, by politicians and the press.
But a New York Times report published over the weekend has angered sources who were on the ground that night. Those sources, who continue to face threats of losing their jobs, sharply challenged the Times’ findings that there was no involvement from Al Qaeda or any other international terror group and that an anti-Islam film played a role in inciting the initial wave of attacks.
“It was a coordinated attack. It is completely false to say anything else. … It is completely a lie,” one witness to the attack told Fox News.
The controversial Times report has stirred a community that normally remains out of sight and wrestles with how to reveal the truth, without revealing classified information.
Fox News has learned that the attack on the consulate started with fighters assembling to conduct an assault.
“Guys were coming into the compound, moving left, moving right…and using IMT (individual movement techniques). … That’s not a spontaneous attack,” one special operator said.
“One guy was shooting, one guy was running. There are guys watching the gates. … The bosses on the ground were pointing, commanding and coordinating — that is a direct action planned attack.”
The community of operators in Libya that night and since includes the CIA, FBI, U.S. military, U.S. State Department and contractors working for the United States in a number of capacities. According to multiple sources on the ground that night, all the intelligence personnel in Benghazi before the attack and there now understand Al Qaeda is a significant threat in Libya.
Recent reports also suggest that Libyan militia leader Ahmad Abu Khattallah is the mastermind of the attack and had no real connections to Al Qaeda or terrorist organizations.
Multiple sources, though, challenged that claim. They insist that while Khattallah was found responsible for the actions at the actual consulate and was essentially the ground force commander that night, he is also clearly tied to Ansar al-Sharia and to the broader terrorist network…
Adam Housley joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in 2001 and currently serves as a Los Angeles-based correspondent.
- ‘FALSE’: Backlash against Benghazi report from US personnel on ground (foxnews.com)
- The New York Times Whitewashes Benghazi (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- PUSHBACK: ‘Completely false’: Sources on ground in Benghazi challenge NYT report. Fifteen months… (pjmedia.com)
- House Intelligence Chair: Benghazi Attack ‘Al Qaeda-led Event’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- NY Times: Needs To Apologize For LYING About #Benghazi. We All Know It Was Al Qaeda (themadjewess.com)
- Times Ignores Evidence of Al Qaeda Link to Benghazi (weeklystandard.com)
- The New York Times Fails In Their Benghazi Investigation (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Intelligence Committee Members Dispute NYT Assertion That al-Qaeda Had No Role in Benghazi Attack (cnsnews.com)