[VIDEO] Irony Alert: Antarctic Global Warming Expeditionists Trapped in Ice May Have to be Rescued by HelicopterPosted: December 29, 2013 | |
Doug Powers reports: Australian climate change professor Chris Turney, passengers and media hoping to get pictures penguins windsurfing where ice should be set out on an expedition to demonstrate the effects of global warming on Antarctica. The ship and all on board have now been trapped in ice for almost a week and counting:
After nearly a week trapped by deep Antarctic ice, the 74 passengers aboard an expedition vessel could soon be freed.
An Australian icebreaker ship Aurora Australis is 28 nautical miles away from the Russian-flagged Akademik Shokalskiy and is waiting for snow showers to pass, according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
The Aurora Australis needs better visibility before trying to break through the ice and reach the stranded vessel.
This attempt follows the Chinese icebreaker Xue Long, or Snow Dragon, which was just six nautical miles away from the trapped vessel when it couldn’t get any closer due to unusually thick ice.
The plan is to see whether the Aurora Australis can break through the ice further than the Chinese ship could. If not passengers will have to get ready for an evacuation by helicopter.
via Doug Powers – Twitter @ThePowersThatBe
~ For the latest breaking news, be sure to join Michelle’s Email List:
- Rescue boat unable to reach trapped ship in Antarctica (fox6now.com)
- Rescue boat for trapped ship in Antarctic waits for better weather (wtvr.com)
- So close, yet so far: Rescue boat unable to reach trapped ship in Antarctica (whas11.com)
- ‘Aurora Australis’ Continues Towards Russian Vessel in Antarctica (worldmaritimenews.com)
- Anxious wait for stranded Antarctic ship (news.yahoo.com)
- Australian icebreaker heading to ship trapped in Antarctic sea ice – CTV News (ctvnews.ca)
- Helicopter rescue possible for research expedition (stuff.co.nz)
- Icebreaker battles to reach Antarctic ship (news.theage.com.au)