[VIDEO] Are the Poor Getting Poorer?Posted: January 1, 2014
People often say that “the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer.” Economics professor Steve Horwitz explains why in the United States, this characterization is largely a myth.
Real income levels of the poorest 20 percent of Americans have actually risen over time. Further, the individual households that comprise the bottom income bracket do not stay the same. The majority of Americans in the poorest 20 percent become wealthier over the course of their lives. Want to learn more? Check out these resources:
• Op-ed on Inequality, by Prof. Horwitz: http://www.ajc.com/opinion/data-overl…
• Cox. W. Michael and Richard Alm. Myths of Rich and Poor: Why We’re Better Off Than We Think, New York: Basic Books, 1999.
Watch more videos: http://lrnlbty.co/y5tTcY
- Inequality Does Not Matter (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- 2013 Review: July, Richard Wilkinson speaks to Equality West Midlands on ‘Inequality- The Enemy Between Us’ (equalitywestmidlands.wordpress.com)
- Reflection on Inequality (richardcrossley1.wordpress.com)
- It Only Takes 3 Short Sentences to Show That Obama is Horrible For Helping Income Inequality (ijreview.com)
- Ashok Rao on Has Rising Inequality Really Been a Problem Over the Past Generation?: The Honest Broker for the Week of December 8, 2013 (delong.typepad.com)
- Questions for redistribution’s proponents (triblive.com)
- Questions About and For Those People Obsessed With Income Inequality (cafehayek.com)
- Culture or Economics (occassionalthoughts.wordpress.com)