‘Sit on the lap of Satan’Posted: January 7, 2014
Satanists’ Statue Design for Oklahoma Capitol Stirs Controversy
Cheryl K. Chumley writes: Members of the Satanic Temple have unveiled their design for a 7-foot-tall statue of the devil they want to locate at the Capitol building in Oklahoma, right next to a monument of the Ten Commandments that has stood since 2012.
And to many, the design may prove shocking.
The Associated Press reported an artist’s depiction shows Satan as the goat-headed and horned figure of Baphomet, complete with wings and a long beard. The Satan figure is shown sitting on a throne decorated with pentagrams, in the middle of a few smiling children.
“The monument has been designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and beyond,” said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the group, in a statement reported by the AP. “The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation.”
The group is based in New York, but says it’s not fair for Oklahoma lawmakers to let a Ten Commandments statue stand at the building, without also allowing monuments that reflect other spiritual beliefs, The Associated Press reported. The Ten Commandments statue was privately funded. The American Civil Liberties Union sued to have it removed shortly after it was place, AP reported… Read the rest…
- Satanic Temple Reveals the Monument They Want to Install Outside the Oklahoma Capitol Building (patheos.com)
- Satanists Unveil Statue for Oklahoma Capitol (nation.time.com)
- Satanist Plan to Put Statue on Okla. Capitol (bobtuskin.com)
- Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma Capitol (amarillo.com)
- Design revealed for Satanic Capitol monument (kjrh.com)
- Satan to Be Erected in New York City. No Fairy Tale! (uwemedimoowo.wordpress.com)
- Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma state Capitol (jacksonville.com)
- U.S. Satanists Unveil Statue For State Legislature (nation.time.com)
- Satanists’ statue design for Oklahoma Capitol: ‘Sit on the lap of Satan’ (washingtontimes.com)
- Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma (sfgate.com)