Millennial CommunistsPosted: January 10, 2014 | |
To the young and idealistic, this time is always different.
Jonah Goldberg writes: ‘In America,” Oscar Wilde quipped, “the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience.” And they often do it in the pages of Rolling Stone.
Last week, the magazine posted a mini-manifesto titled “Five Economic Reforms Millennials Should Be Fighting For.” After confirming that it wasn’t a parody, conservative critics launched a brutal assault on its author, Jesse A. Myerson.
Myerson’s essay captures nearly everything the unconverted despise about left-wing youth culture, starting with the assumption that being authentically young requires being theatrically left-wing.
Writing with unearned familiarity and embarrassingly glib confidence in the rightness of his positions, Myerson prattles on about how “unemployment blows” and therefore we need “guaranteed work for everybody.” He proceeds to report that jobs “blow” too, so we need guaranteed universal income. He has the same disdain for landlords, who “don’t really do anything to earn their money.” Which is why, Myerson writes, we need communal ownership of land, or something.
One wonders why he bothered to single out landlords, since he calls for the state appropriation of, well, everything. Why? Because “hoarders blow,” and he doesn’t mean folks who refuse to throw away their Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets and old Sharper Image catalogs. He means successful people who “hoard” the wealth that rightly belongs to all of us.
Apparently “blowing” is an open warrant to undo the entire constitutional order. If only someone had told the Founders…
— Jonah Goldberg is the author of The Tyranny of Clichés, now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @JonahNRO. © 2014 Tribune Media Services, Inc.
- Jonah Goldberg: What’s new about Rolling Stone rant? (goerie.com)
- Jonah Goldberg: Like a rolling stone, old ideas revived as new ‘solutions’ (reporternews.com)
- Rolling Stone rant gathers tossed-out ‘solutions’ (bostonherald.com)
- A Millennial’s Rolling Stone Rant Offers Up Some Tired Old ‘Solutions’ (jonchristblog.wordpress.com)
- Chris Hayes Asks Why Rolling Stone Columnist Pushing for End of Private Property ‘Drove Everybody Nuts’ (mediaite.com)
- Rolling Stone’s ‘Five economic reforms Millennials should be fighting for’ makes case for socialism (redalertpolitics.com)
- [WATCH] Rolling Stone columnist pushing socialist reforms defends piece on MSNBC (redalertpolitics.com)
- Reviewing “Five Economic Reforms Millenials Should Be Fighting For” (themidnightzone.wordpress.com)
- Rolling Stone: ‘It Blows’ Rant (dailybrowse.wordpress.com)