Box Office: With ‘Lone Survivor’ Hollywood Finally Produces Hit War MoviePosted: January 11, 2014
John Nolte writes: Between documentaries and narrative feature films, Hollywood delivered somewhere close to two dozen box office bombs during the Bush Administration — all of them attacking President George W. Bush and various elements of the War on Terror. Not one of these films was anything other than a critical and commercial humiliation. That, however, didn’t stop Hollywood from making them. The entertainment industry’s anti-American agenda will always trump greed. This weekend, though, with “Lone Survivor,” Hollywood finally as a hit war movie on its hands.
According to Deadline, “Lone Survivor” is expected to top the weekend box office with a take of $33 million to $35 million — which is well above industry expectations and double the expectations of its distributor, Universal.
Though I haven’t yet seen “Lone Survivor,” by all accounts the true story of Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell (Mark Wahlberg) and his harrowing odyssey to stay alive after being ambushed by the Taliban in Afghanistan, is apolitical and respectful of the men who fight our wars. Writer/director Peter Berg (working from Luttrell’s own book) is also receiving near-universal acclaim for crafting a damn fine war movie.
This is not a difficult code to crack: No one, not even American-hating leftists who could have made all of those flops a hit, want to be preached at in the movies. We also don’t want to see the men who risk and sacrifice everything for our country denigrated. Sure, like there are in every field, there are some bad apples in the military. But to focus only on the bad and never on the overwhelming number of good is nothing more than American/troop-bashing and lying through omission.
The other part of cracking that code is to put telling a good story above politics…
Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC
- Texas Theater Cancels Showings Of Major Hollywood Movies To Accommodate Massive Crowds Going To See ‘Lone Survivor’ (patdollard.com)
- ‘Lone Survivor’ to Outlast ‘Hercules’ this Weekend (blogscottsdaleaz.wordpress.com)
- “Lone Survivor”: Houston native’s story of survival hits theaters (khou.com)
- ‘Lone Survivor’ star Mark Wahlberg: People NEED to know about this (thelead.blogs.cnn.com)
- ‘Lone Survivor’ Commands Box Office for Surprising $38 Million Debut (variety.com)
- ‘Lone Survivor’: Meet the man who saved Marcus Luttrell’s life – EXCLUSIVE VIDEO (insidemovies.ew.com)
- Lone Survivor – the movie (righttruth.typepad.com)
- BOX OFFICE: ‘Lone Survivor’ Opens Strong In Late-Night Showings; $33M to $35M Weekend Now Predicted; ‘Hercules’ Anemic (m.deadline.com)
- Box office: ‘Lone Survivor’ stands tall (latimes.com)