[Only Two?] Drink Two Espressos to Enhance Long-Term MemoryPosted: January 13, 2014
Simon Makin reports: Coffee has long been a friend of students working through the night, but it does more than just keep us awake. A study provides the first convincing evidence that caffeine enhances long-term memory in people – provided the dose is right.
The effects mirror similar results seen in honeybees, where a boost to memory from caffeine-laden nectar may help bees return to certain plants.
Researchers strongly suspected that caffeine enhances memory, but studies that tried to show this in people weren’t conclusive, as any apparent benefits in memory could have been due to increased attention, a known benefit of caffeine.
Studies in animals such as rats, meanwhile, suggested that it enhances memory consolidation – the process of strengthening memories between acquiring them and retrieving them – which should affect long-term memory.
To investigate further, Michael Yassa, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Irvine, recruited 160 adults who normally consume only minimal amounts of caffeine. The volunteers first studied images of objects, before randomly receiving a pill containing either 200 milligrams of caffeine – equivalent to two espressos – or a placebo. Receiving the caffeine after studying the images helped to isolate the effect of caffeine on memory, as you wouldn’t expect alertness to matter at this point…
- Two Espressos Enhance Your Long-Term Memory (gizmodo.co.uk)
- Caffeine enhances long-term memory too (dnaindia.com)
- Coffee May Improve Long-Term Memory (newser.com)
- Drink two espressos to enhance long-term memory (newscientist.com)
- Study: coffee enhances long-term memory retention (wired.co.uk)
- It’s all coming back to me now: Researchers find caffeine enhances memory (sciencedaily.com)
- Coffee may boost brain’s ability to store long-term memories, study claims (theguardian.com)
- Coffee may boost brain’s ability to store long-term memories, study claims (rawstory.com)
- Experiment Shows Caffeine Boosts Long Term Memory (science.slashdot.org)
- It’s all coming back to me now: Researchers find caffeine enhances memory (esciencenews.com)