The New Age of Christian MartyrdomPosted: January 14, 2014
Lions have been replaced by firing squads and concentration camps as record numbers of Jesus’ worshipers are persecuted from Syria to North Korea.
Kirsten Powers writes: The concept of Christian martyrdom may seem like something from a bygone, uncivilized era when believers were mercilessly thrown to the lions. Not so. This week, Open Doors, a non-denominational group supporting persecuted Christians worldwide, reported that Christian martyrdom has grown into a pervasive and horrifying human rights crisis.
In their annual report of the worst 50 countries for Christian persecution, Open Doors found that Christian martyr deaths around the globe doubled in 2013. Their report documented 2,123 killings, compared with 1,201 in 2012. In Syria alone, there were 1,213 such deaths last year. In addition to losing their lives, Christians around the world continue to suffer discrimination, imprisonment, harassment, sexual assaults, and expulsion from countries merely for practicing their faith.
Once again, the worst persecutor of Christians is North Korea, where an estimated 50,000 to 70,000 followers of Jesus are suffering in prison camps for “crimes” such as owning a Bible, going to church, or sharing their faith. In November 2013, it was reported that 80 prisoners were publicly executed, many for possessing Bibles. Last year, North Korea sentenced an American missionary, Kenneth Bae to 15 years of hard labor in a prison camp. The U.S. State Department has lobbied unsuccessfully for his release.
Christians are obviously not the only North Koreans in prison camps. But former captives have reported that they often attract the worst treatment because the regime is particularly enraged by the worship of any other being than the Supreme Leader, who forces North Koreans to treat him as a deity…
- Reported cases of Christians killed for their faith around the world doubled in 2013 (jihadwatch.org)
- Aiming for ‘Effective Anger’: The Top 50 Countries Where It’s Hardest To Be a Christian (christianitytoday.com)
- 37 Muslim nations persecuting Christians (wnd.com)
- Report: North Korea worst for Christian persecution | Fox News (jboy2244.wordpress.com)
- Reports of Christian martyrdom nearly doubled in 2013 (endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com)
- Kirsten Powers: The New Age of Christian Martyrdom (breitbart.com)
- Report: Global Christian Martyrdom Doubled in 2013 (christiannews.net)