In rare TV interview, Tim Cook says he is ‘honored’ to be doing business with China MobilePosted: January 15, 2014
In a rare TV interview, Tim Cook described this week’s launch of the iPhone on China Mobile as “a watershed day” for the company. While the soft-spoken Apple CEO is noted for the humbleness with which he speaks, it’s hard to imagine him describing Apple as being “honored” to do business with many other companies.
“I’m so honored to be doing business with … China Mobile. It’s a huge announcement…we’re incredibly impressed with them, we have deep respect for them, and have had from the very first discussion that we’ve had together” …
It had been suggested that Apple found itself in an unusually weak position when negotiating with the carrier, and may have had to make significant concessions to seal the deal.
Neither Cook nor China Mobile’s chairman Xi Guohua would be drawn on sales expectations, but China Mobile did say that it had received 1.2 million pre-orders as of Monday. It wasreported yesterday that Apple had shipped 1.4 million iPhone 5s handsets to China ahead of Friday’s launch – with no word on 5c numbers…
- Apple strikes multi-year deal with China Mobile (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Apple, China Mobile sign iPhone deal (news.yahoo.com)
- China Mobile-Apple deal complete, iPhone 5s and 5c arrive Jan. 17 (electronista.com)
- Apple Strikes Long-Awaited Deal With China Mobile, with iPhone 5s and 5c to Hit Stores on Jan. 17 (allthingsd.com)
- iPhone Finally Comes To China Mobile (benzinga.com)
- Apple Finally Signs iPhone Deal With China Mobile, Unlocking Billions In Value – NASDAQ (nasdaq.com)
- Apple Strikes Long-Awaited Deal With China Mobile, With iPhone 5s and 5c to Hit Stores on January 17 (cellcomcells.wordpress.com)
- The iPhone comes to China Mobile January 17 (tuaw.com)
- ‘Over a million iPhone 5Ss shipped to China Mobile’ ahead of launch (telegraph.co.uk)
- Apple-China Mobile Deal a ‘Watershed’ Moment, CEO Says (dailyfinance.com)