Sale of Jim Beam to a Japanese Company Stirs Controversy Among American Bourbon FansPosted: January 15, 2014
slurp noodles and welcome their new Japanese Overlords are furious about the sale of their beloved Jim Beam to a company in Japan, a suspiciously safe, sake-drinking, abnormally clean and polite society, a foreign country where vending machines sell underpants, executives get drunk and throw up in train stations, and nobody understands American whiskey…
[See also: Sugoi! Oishii! Japan’s Suntory buys Jim Beam]
Michelle Lynn Dinh reports: Nothing quite screams “USA! USA!” like a glass of Kentucky bourbon; it is “America’s only native spirit” afterall. Maybe that’s why patriotic fans of the beverage have taken to the Twittersphere in protest of Japanese company, Suntory, purchasing Beam, Inc., the distillers of American classics, Jim Beam and Maker’s Mark. The $13.6 billion deal was announced on January 13 and was followed by a flurry of angry messages claiming the Illinois-based company had “sold out.” Let’s take a look at the angriest of the bunch.
In the most un-American move since the electric car, Jim Beam has been sold to Japan.
— Kevin Cotton Higley (@kevinhigley) January 14, 2014
Jim Beam/Makers just sold to a Japanese company. Better stock up before there’s no more American made whiskey in those bottles.
— Andy Atkins (@apleaforandy) January 14, 2014
Some Japanese people have bought out Jim Beam. Everybody start buying Jack Daniels.
— William Cox (@wcox15) January 13, 2014
— Aaron Colborn (@aaron_colborn) January 14, 2014
…But no matter which side of the fence you’re on (or maybe you just don’t care who sold what to whom), the deal is done and (pending board approval) Suntory, known as the producers of the first Japanese whiskey, will soon own our precious American bourbon…
Read the rest at RocketNews24
- Sugoi! Oishii! Japan’s Suntory buys Jim Beam (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Japan’s Suntory buying Jim Beam (denverpost.com)
- American bourbon fans are furious about the sale of Jim Beam to a Japanese company (en.rocketnews24.com)
- WHISKEY BUY-OUT: Japanese Company Buys Jim Beam (whotv.com)
- Jim Beam Acquired By Suntory Holdings Ltd. (webpronews.com)
- First Take: Jim Beam is huge get for Suntory (usatoday.com)
- Suntory of Japan to acquire makers of Jim Beam bourbon (japandailypress.com)
- Jim Beam, Maker’s Mark sold to Japanese firm (stltoday.com)
- Five Jim Beam Alternatives for the Patriotic Bourbon Drinker (nation.time.com)