Tamera Mowry Is Not AlonePosted: January 15, 2014 | |
Michelle Malkin writes: This made my heart ache and my blood pressure spike: Actress Tamera Mowry, who is black, wept in an interview with Oprah Winfrey over the vile bigotry she has encountered because of her marriage to Fox News reporter Adam Housley, who is white. Misogynist haters called Mowry a sellout and a “white man’s whore.” International news outlets labeled the Internet epithets she endured “horrific” and “shocking.”
Horrific? Yes. Shocking? Not at all. What Mowry experienced is just a small taste of what the intolerance mob dishes out against people “of color” who love, think and live the “wrong” way. I’ve grown so used to it that I often forget how hurtful it can be. Mowry’s candor was moving and admirable. It’s also a valuable teachable moment about how dehumanizing it can be to work in the public eye. Have we really sunk to this?
Young actresses in the 21st century forced to defend their love lives because their marital choices are politically incorrect? We’re leaning backward in the regressive Age of Hope and Change.
Let’s face it: Mowry’s sin, in the view of her feckless detractors, is not merely that she married outside her race. It’s also that she is so open about her love for a white man who — gasp! — works for reviled Fox News. Neither of them is political, but the mere association with Bad Things (Fox, conservatives, capitalism, the tea party, Christian activism, traditional values) is an invitation for unabashed hate.
The dirty open secret is that a certain category of public figures has been routinely mocked, savaged and reviled for being partners in interracial marriages or part of loving interracial families (for a refresher, see the video clip of MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry and friends cackling at the holiday photo of Mitt Romney holding his black adopted grandson in his lap).
And the dirty double standard is that selectively compassionate journalists and pundits have routinely looked the other way — or participate directly in heaping on the hate.
Have you forgotten? Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was excoriated by black liberals for being married to wife Virginia, who happens to be white. The critics weren’t anonymous trolls on the Internet. They worked for major media outlets and institutions of higher learning. USA Today columnist Barbara Reynolds slammed Thomas and his wife for their colorblind union…
- Fox News Reporter Responds to ‘Bigoted’ Slurs about His Interracial Marriage (nationalreview.com)
- Tamera Mowry-Housley’s Emotional Interview on the Backlash from their Interracial Marriage (lovechapters.net)
- Tamera Mowry Cries After Racist Tweets About Her Marriage (theprettycanary.wordpress.com)
- Tia, Tamera Mowry get teary discussing racist comments received online (thegrio.com)
- Why Tamera Mowry Cried to Oprah About Her Interracial Marriage (abcnews.go.com)
- Tamera Mowry Responds Emotionally to Critics of Her Interracial Marriage (atlantablackstar.com)
- CAA Signs Tamera Mowry (deadline.com)
- Tamera Mowry’s Husband, Adam Housley, Calls Interracial Marriage Attacks “Bigoted” and “Pathetic” (eonline.com)
- Tamera Mowry: ‘I was Called A White Man’s Wh*re’ For Marrying White Man (imarashed.com)
- Coffee Talk: Tamera Mowry-Housley Responds to Interracial Marriage Critics (essence.com)