Reminder: Only 3% of Americans Rank Immigration Reform as Top PriorityPosted: January 16, 2014
Immigration places well behind other issues like healthcare, jobs, the economy, dissatisfaction with Washington politicians, the debt and deficit, lack of money, ethics and moral issues, poverty, the gap between the rich and the poor, education, foreign aid and others. In fact, only three percent of Americans think the issue is a priority that must be dealt with this year.
“Americans start the new year with a variety of national concerns on their minds,” Gallup’s Lydia Saad wrote on Wednesday. “Although none is dominant, the government, at 21%, leads the list of what Americans consider the most important problem facing the country. The economy closely follows at 18%, and then unemployment/jobs and healthcare, each at 16%. No other issue is mentioned by as much as 10% of the public; however, the federal budget deficit or debt comes close, at 8%.”
In fact, immigration is so low among Americans’ priorities that Saad did not even mention it in her report on Gallup’s findings. It is, however, listed near the bottom of a chart of Americans’ priorities, slightly above welfare and “lack of respect for each other” as issues Americans think need to be dealt with.
Despite the fact that most Americans clearly do not think Congress or President Barack Obama should consider immigration issues a priority in 2014, House Speaker John Boehner and the rest of House GOP leadership are currently considering them a priority…
- Gallup: Only 3% Of Americans Think Congress Should Bother With Immigration Reform (patdollard.com)
- Only 3% of Americans Rank Immigration Reform as Top Priority… (breitbart.com)
- The GOP’s ‘Piecemeal’ Immigration Strategy Could Be Comprehensive After All (nationalreview.com)
- A Pathway To Cheap Labor: What’s Really Driving The Immigration Reform Debate … Top Of The Stack 01.16.14 (radio.foxnews.com)
- Immigration reform must be top priority, Commerce secretary says (latimes.com)
- Congressional Budget On Immigration Funds Enforcement-Only Status Quo (americasvoice.org)
- Reality Check: Only 3% of Americans Believe Immigration Most Important Issue (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Republicans shift immigration debate from amnesty to Americans’ jobs (dailycaller.com)
- GOP leader reveals strategy for immigration bill push (dailycaller.com)
- Marco Rubio Questions House Republicans’ Immigration Push (breitbart.com)