Obama Is Losing the MillennialsPosted: January 21, 2014
Michael Barone writes: What do young Americans want? Something different from what they’ve been getting from the president they voted for by such large margins.
Evidence comes in from various polls. Voters under 30, the Millennial generation, produced numbers for Barack Obama 13 percentage points above the national average in 2008 and nine points above in 2012.
But in recent polls, Obama’s approval among those under 30 has been higher than the national average by only one percentage point (Quinnipiac), two points (ABC/Washington Post) and three points (YouGov/Economist).
Those differences are statistically significant. And that’s politically significant, since a higher percentage of Millennials than of the general population are Hispanic or black.
The reasons for Millennials’ decreased approval of Obama become clear from a Harvard Institute of Politics (IOP) poll of 18- to 29-year-olds conducted in November.
That poll shows Obama’s job approval dipping to 41 percent, down from 52 percent in April 2013 and the lowest rating in any IOP survey.
One reason for the decline is Obamacare. Only 38 percent approved of Obamacare (39 percent approved of “the Affordable Care Act”). Only 29 percent of those who were uninsured said they would definitely or probably enroll in the health-insurance exchanges.
Those results were registered five to nine weeks after the October 1 Healthcare.gov rollout. Tech-savvy Millennials must have been astonished that the government produced a website that didn’t work…
— Michael Barone is senior political analyst for the Washington Examiner. © 2014 the Washington Examiner. Distributed by Creators.com
- Millennials Unhappy With Obama’s War on the Young (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- BARONE: Millennials unhappy with Obama’s war on the young (rare.us)
- Millennials Unhappy With Obama’s War on the Young (thedailyblogreport.wordpress.com)
- Millennials unhappy with Obama’s war on the young (redalertpolitics.com)
- Millennials unhappy with Obama’s war on the young (humanevents.com)
- Millennials On The Move (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- BUYER’S REMORSE… Majority of Youth Voters Would Toss Obama Out of Office (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Millennials Unhappy With Obama’s War on the Young (conservativeread.com)
- Harvard Survey: Obama and Obamacare push Millennials support off cliff (legalinsurrection.com)
- NATIONAL JOURNAL: Millennials Abandon Obama, ObamaCare. “Young Americans are turning against Barac… (pjmedia.com)