Shadowing the Sochi Games: Russia Hunts for ‘Black Widow’ Suicide BomberPosted: January 21, 2014
Mary Chastain writes: Russian authorities are searching for 22-year-old Ruzanna Ibragimova, a “Black Widow,” who may already be in Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics. They believe she may have infiltrated the security President Vladimir Putin brags about on a regular basis.
She is the widow of a terrorist reportedly killed last year in a shoot-out with police, Ibragimova goes by the nickname Salima and has a 10-centimeter scar across her left cheek, Russian authorities said. She also walks with a pronounced limp and has a stiff left arm that doesn’t bend at the elbow, authorities said.
Black Widows reside in Chechnya, and their husbands died during previous terrorist attacks against Russian forces during the two Chechen wars. These women step up and take their husband’s or another close male relative’s place.Naida Asiyalova detonated a bomb on a bus in Volgograd in October, which killed six people and injured over 30 people. A suicide bomber blew up a train station in Volgograd in December, but there are mixed reports if the bomber was male or female.
On Sunday, ABC’s “This Week” aired an interview with Putin where he again promised the world their athletes and visitors will be safe despite the numerous terrorist attacks in surrounding cities. Three occurred in Volgograd, which is a major transportation hub between Moscow and southern Russia, and Stavropol. A few hours after the interview aired, terrorists from the Caucasus released a videoand threatened a huge surprise for those in Sochi.
“We’ve prepared a present for you and all tourists who’ll come over. If you will hold the Olympics, you’ll get a present from us for the Muslim blood that’s been spilled,” they warn…
- Black widows: Russia hunts for female suicide bombers near Sochi (csmonitor.com)
- Sochi forces hunt for 3 potential suicide bombers (hosted.ap.org)
- Russian forces hunt for ‘Black Widow’ suicide bombers ahead of Olympics (abqjournal.com)
- Sochi forces hunt for 3 potential suicide bombers (news.yahoo.com)
- ‘Black widow’ in Sochi hunted as potential suicide bomber (thestar.com)
- Sochi forces hunt for 3 potential suicide bombers (arkansasonline.com)
- Sochi forces hunt for 3 potential female suicide bombers (wcnc.com)
- ‘Black Widow’ Women Responsible for Russia’s Worst Terror Attacks (theepochtimes.com)
- ‘Black widows’ tied to decade of terror in Russia (miamiherald.com)
- ‘Black widows’ tied to decade of terror in Russia (aurorasentinel.com)