Smith & Wesson Unveils .460 Caliber Zombie Warning System : The ‘Backpack Cannon’Posted: January 22, 2014
“It’s a very comfortable gun to shoot”
Wow. This got my attention. For fans of the Taurus Judge “Public Defender”, this is a welcome addition to the “shock-and-awe” subset of Super Handguns. Before I bought my first handgun (a Glock) a friend directed me to the Judge, for all the wrong reasons, as it turns out (shooting shotgun shells out of a pistol increases the chances that even in a panic, you’ll hit your target, even if the weapon is completely impractical, and don’t even think about conceal-carry) but mainly because he was interested in it, too. It was getting a lot of buzz, that first few years, and continues to get a range of reactions: A. It’s a solid, respectable handgun, good for a nightstand, home protection B. It’s a novelty, often dismissed as foolish, not essential. C. Holy cow I want one.
I suggest checking out some YouTube videos of the Judge blowing up watermelons, or various discarded home appliances, if you’re curious to see one of these large-caliber revolvers in action. Step aside, Judge. There’s a new kid in town. Enter the Backpack Cannon.
My thinking is, if Smith & Wesson is getting in the game (or maybe they’re already in, I haven’t been following closely) it’ll surely be an attention-getter. Note: Cannon balls not included. The Washington Times has an item about it:
Cheryl K. Chumley writes: Smith & Wesson has unveiled the monster of all monster handguns at the recent “Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show” in Las Vegas: A .460 caliber beast with a 3-inch barrel, high-visibility sights and a synthetic shock absorber on the handle — a likely necessary addition for so much firepower.
The manufacturing company is billing it as “great for a back-up gun, or for hunting,” and has dubbed it the “Backpack Cannon,” The Daily Mail reported.
About 60,000 gun enthusiasts attend the trade show each year, one of the biggest in the nation.
“It’s a very comfortable gun to shoot,” said Paul Pluff, a Smith & Wesson employee, in The Daily Mail…
- HAND CANNON: Smith & Wesson unveils monster .460 caliber gun: The ‘Backpack Cannon’ (girlsjustwannahaveguns.com)
- Smith & Wesson unveils “monster” revolver (rare.us)
- Check Out Smith & Wesson’s Massive New Handgun, The .460 Caliber ‘Backpack Cannon’ (Video) (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Introducing S&W’s New “Backpack Cannon” .460 Caliber Revolver (youviewed.com)
- The Backpack Cannon (lewrockwell.com)
- ■Feeling lucky? Smith & Wesson unveil the $1,200 ‘Backpack Cannon’■Russia: Ukraine ‘out of control’ -WorldNews 21 Jan 2014 (planet.infowars.com)
- The Backpack Cannon: Smith & Wesson’s new monster revolver, ‘a great gun for a back-up or hunting’ (dailymail.co.uk)
- The Backpack Cannon: Smith & Wesson’s new monster revolver, ‘a great gun for a back-up or hunting’ | Mail Online (rightcoast.typepad.com)
- Smith & Wesson Makes a $10,000 Scholarship Fund Donation to SSSF (outdoorhub.com)