WASHINGTON POST SHAKEUP: Ezra Klein Out, Eugene Volokh, In: Bezos Era BeginsPosted: January 22, 2014
To grasp the magnitude of this realignment, imagine if the New York Times declined to renew veteran left-wing crackpot Paul Krugman‘s contract, and replaced him with Instapudit‘s Glenn Reynolds. Or if HBO fired Bill Maher, and offered a prime-time talk show to Greg Gutfeld. Yes, it’s like that.
Could this be a sign of intelligent life in media? What if Maureen Dowd was booted out of her nest at the NYT, replaced by Mona Charen? Imagine if ABC’s Good Morning America dumped its on-air talent and hired Ann Coulter, Tucker Carlson, and Michelle Malkin. Or if editorial control of The Huffington Post was turned over to me, Nick Gillespie, and Jonah Goldberg…
Okay that part is wishful thinking. But you get the idea. It’s a big deal.
John Nolte reports: Very interesting day at The Washington Post. Left-wing Ezra Klein is out and the much-respected conservative legal blog, The Volokh Conspiracy, is in. Already the Jeff Bezos era is becoming an interesting one. Numerous reports claim that Bezos wasn’t interested in a multi-million dollar proposal Klein pitched, but he was apparently interested in giving Volokh full editorial control:
We will also retain full editorial control over what we write. And this full editorial control will be made easy by the facts that we have (1) day jobs, (2) continued ownership of our trademark and the volokh.com domain, and (3) plenty of happy experience blogging on our own, should the need arise to return to that…
After all, they approached us because of who we are and what we write. They know our ideologies. They know our blogging style. They know that we sometimes put up quirky non-law posts. They tell us they’re fine with all of that.
Both moves are a huge boost for the Post for a few reasons.
As much as Ezra Klein was worshipped by others in the elite media, he badly damaged the Post’s credibility as an objective news outlet. It was unconscionable of the Post to frame Klein’s hysterical leftism and Obama water-carrying as objective analysis and reporting. Klein is a wild-eyed Statist, and a wildly dishonest one to boot.
Bringing on the Volokh Conspiracy will not only give the Post the sorely needed voices of legitimate conservatives, but unlike Klein the Volokh Conspiracy won’t attempt to hide their ideology. That is a two-fer for the Post and anyone who believes in objective journalism and a diversity of opinions, worldviews, and backgrounds.
On a personal note, let me congratulate the great folks at Volokh. I’ve been a fan for a decade now and couldn’t be happier for their well-deserved success.
Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC
- Adam Freedman : Volokh Goes MSM: Good or Bad? (ricochet.com)
- WaPo: Leftist Ezra Klein Out, Conservative Volokh Conspiracy In (breitbart.com)
- Ezra Klein’s WaPo exit quickly turns into a joke (dailycaller.com)
- Slate’s incoherent contribution to Ezra Klein’s departure from WaPo (dailycaller.com)
- Liberal Blogger Ezra Klein Leaves WaPo Same Day Libertarians Join Up (newsbusters.org)
- The Volokh Conspiracy Announces Move to the Washington Post, Are Now Paywalled (mediaite.com)
- TAKING THE BOEING: The Volokh Conspiracy Joins The Washington Post…. (pjmedia.com)
- Volokh Conspiracy Takes the Boeing (pjmedia.com)
- Ezra Klein Replaced by The Volokh Conspiracy (concurringopinions.com)
- JournoList founder Ezra Klein to leave Washington Post? (twitchy.com)