White House to Marijuana Advocates: Slow Down, Daddy, Our Official Position on Pot Hasn’t Changed, Dig?Posted: January 22, 2014
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney would have an easier sell if he hadn’t just grown himself a beatnik beard. I bet Carney’s got rolling papers in his pocket. I just know it. He’s holding. For sure.
Andrew Johnson writes: President Obama’s recent comments about marijuana didn’t quite call for the legalization of recreational use, the White House clarified. In a recent interview with The New Yorker, the president made comments that some interpreted as a policy shift on the issue.
While President Obama encouraged the legalization “experiments” in Colorado and Washington to move forward, “he’s not endorsing a specific move by a state,” press secretary Jay Carney explained during the daily briefing on Wednesday. Instead, the president stands by his belief about the negative impact of marijuana, although he supports changes regarding prosecution and sentencing over drug laws.
In The New Yorker, the president described smoking marijuana as no “more dangerous than alcohol” or tobacco cigarettes; he also called it “a bad habit,” “a vice,” and “a waste of time,” and has discouraged his daughters from smoking it.
- White House says Obama’s marijuana policy hasn’t changed (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- WH: Policy on Marijuana Enforcement Hasn’t Changed (breitbart.com)
- Obama’s position on marijuana “hasn’t changed,” W.H. says (cbsnews.com)
- HOPE AND CHANGE: Obama uses racial politics to justify marijuana legalization (dailycaller.com)
- White House: Obama Still Opposed To Marijuana Legalization (huffingtonpost.com)
- HAZE: White House drug czar contradicts Obama on marijuana… (washingtontimes.com)
- White House: President Obama’s position on pot has not changed (outfront.blogs.cnn.com)
- White House says Obama’s marijuana policy hasn’t changed (drugpolicydebateradar.wordpress.com)
- ISTOOK: Obama’s White House drug experts contradict his marijuana claims (grumpyelder.com)
- Former drug czar: Like other baby boomers, Obama hasn’t kept up with science of pot (thelead.blogs.cnn.com)