9 Violent Criminals Who Paid Less for Bail Than Filmmaker Dinesh D’SouzaPosted: January 25, 2014
Jason Howerton writes: On Friday, conservative scholar Dinesh D’Souza pleaded not guilty to charges that he violated campaign finance laws. The filmmaker behind the anti-Obama documentary “2016: Obama’s America” was released on $500,000 bond, which some — even in the legal community — argue was excessive.
We looked into these claims and uncovered a number of violent and disturbing offenses that resulted in bail amounts less than D’Souza was required to put up. While it’s not a comprehensive list by any means, here are nine cases where violent suspects had to put up less for bail than D’Souza:
A former convict accused of robbing 4 people and raping one of them
In 2007, a Chicago judge set bail for former convict Darnell Richmond at $400,000 on charges that he robbed or attempted to rob four people, raping one of them, just three months after he was released from prison, the Chicago Tribune reports.
That was after Richmond’s bail was increased from $150,000, when he was accused of only two counts of attempted robbery. He was later indicted for additional attempted robbery charges and sexual assault.
A man accused of trying to kill a police officer
When the probable-cause documents known as Riverside affidavits first went missing, a judge told prosecutors that suspect Joseph Feliciano’s bail would have to be reduced from $558,000 to $25,000. When the missing documents were located his bail was increased to $400,000.
A man accused of holding elderly men in a “dungeon”
In July of 2013, a Houston man accused of holding a group of elderly men captive in what was described as a “prison room” or “dungeon” was held in a Harris County jail in lieu of $400,000 bail.
Houston police arrived at suspect Walter Renard Jones’ house to find the prisoners living in “deplorable conditions.” Jones previously faced charges for marijuana possession, theft and failure to register as a sex offender…
- Dinesh D’Souza indicted, charged with making illegal campaign contributions (twitchy.com)
- It Begins… Director of Anti-Obama Film “2016: Obama’s America” Indicted by Federal Court (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Anti-Obama Filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza Released On $500,000 Bond (patdollard.com)
- ‘2016: Obama’s America’ Filmmaker Pleads Not Guilty To Campaign Contribution Fraud (m.deadline.com)
- Conservative Documentarian Dinesh D’Souza Pleads Not Guilty to Campaign Finance Violations (thewrap.com)
- ‘Schindler’s List’ producer rips Obama’s ‘Soviet’ tactics (wnd.com)
- Anti-Obama Filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza Indicted for Campaign Finance Fraud (atlantablackstar.com)
- ‘2016: Obama’s America’ Filmmaker Pleads ‘Not Guilty’ On Campaign Contribution Indictment (deadline.com)