Cuban Workers Stage Rare Protest: Dissident Oscar Biscet ArrestedPosted: January 26, 2014
Prominent Cuban dissident Dr. Oscar Biscet was arrested today, according to blogger Yoani Sanchez and other sources. He was reportedly threatened with a return to prison if he failed comply fully with the harsh terms of his house arrest.
In a rare demonstration of public dissent, dozens of Cuban artisans and vendors protested in the city of Holguín this week (above), demanding the right to work without government harassment, The New York Times reports.
“The government revoked their licenses and took away their resources, their work,”said one local dissident. “It’s one of the most important things to have happened in Cuba in 54 years,” he said. “It was a protest by workers; it wasn’t dissidents. We support them, but we didn’t do this.”
Ted Henken, a professor at Baruch College and president of the Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, said that any worker revolt in Cuba, however small, reflects frustration with Raúl Castro’s attempt to improve the nation’s communist economy through calculated, cautious economic openings. Though around 445,000 Cubans now legally work for themselves, according to government figures, growth among the self-employed has plateaued and complaints about stricter enforcement have been growing for months…
- Cuba: Castro State Security arrests opposition leaders Ferrer and Biscet days before CELAC summit (babalublog.com)
- Castro regime prepares for CELAC summit by rounding up dissidents (marcmasferrer.typepad.com)
- Castro dictatorship rounding up dissidents in Cuba before CELAC Summit in Havana (babalublog.com)
- Cuban Vendors, in Rare Move, Stage a Protest (nytimes.com)
- Cuban dissident says she’s rather go back to prison than continue to be harassed (miamiherald.com)
- Diaz-Balart and Ros-Lehtinen Condemn Castro Regime’s Brutal Crackdown Against Pro-Democracy Activists (babalublog.com)
- Two Cuban dissidents get early release from prison (miamiherald.com)
- Shaking hands with libertad in Cuba (rare.us)
- Cuban dissidents arrested in attempt to foil toy distribution drive gov’t supporters describe as “provacation” (miamiherald.com)
- Cuban leading activist ‘arrested’ (bbc.co.uk)