How Americans Can Kill Obamacare, Legalize Pot: Passive ResistancePosted: January 27, 2014 | |
Nobody is signing up, and everybody — in Colorado,at least — is smoking.
One need not have an actual conspiracy to achieve the practical effects of a conspiracy. More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called ‘Irish Democracy,’ the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people, than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
That seems to be happening right now, in two very different areas. In one area, we have the refusal of people to sign up for Obamacare in anything like the numbers that were predicted, or needed to make it work. Writing in the Washington Postback in November, Jennifer Rubin observed:
It is a coin flip, at best, for the president as to whether his signature achievement, his only achievement, will fail. It will be repealed in essence by a popular referendum: The mass refusal of people to go along with Obama’s top-down, compulsory system that was set to transform a sixth of the economy. That possibility should traumatize and probably is traumatizing the White House. … The political implications of this are almost too enormous to calculate.
Now, as February draws near, things don’t look much better.
Far fewer than half the number needed by March 31 have signed up. And, as it turns out, most of the people signing up for Obamacare aren’t the uninsured for whom it was supposedly enacted, but people who were previously insured (many of whom lost their previous insurance because of Obamacare’s new requirements). “At most,” writes Bloomberg’s Megan McArdle, “they’ve signed up 15% of the uninsured that they were expecting to enroll. … Where are the uninsured? Did hardly any of them want coverage beginning Jan. 1?” It looks that way.
In fact, there seem to be more uninsured than there were before Obama took office, leaving Jonah Goldberg to ask, “So what was the point of Obamacare again?”
If the program fails, it won’t be because Republicans stopped it, despite all the House votes and defunding efforts. It will be because millions of Americans’ passive resistance brought it to its knees. Irish Democracy, indeed.
Meanwhile, on the marijuana front, the people of states like Colorado are engaging in an odd, 21st century variety of nullification….
Glenn Harlan Reynolds is professor of law at the University of Tennessee and the author of The New School: How the Information Age Will Save American Education from Itself. He blogs at InstaPundit.com.
- HEY, WHERE ARE ALL THOSE UNINSURED PEOPLE WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO BE SIGNING UP FOR OBAMACARE? “There … (pjmedia.com)
- Study: Staying uninsured cheaper than Obamacare for young (dailycaller.com)
- MEGAN MCARDLE: Resolved: Obamacare Is Now Beyond Rescue. Last Wednesday, Scott Gottlieb and I de… (pjmedia.com)
- MEGAN MCARDLE: More Obamacare Delays. Surprised? Last week, the Barack Obama administration aske… (pjmedia.com)
- Quotation of the day…. on Obamacare… (aei-ideas.org)
- Aetna CEO: We May Have to Pull Out of Obamacare, or Heavily Hike Premiums (townhall.com)
- Poll: Number Of Uninsured Drops By Millions As Obamacare Takes Effect (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Moody’s downgrades health insurers, citing Obamacare (grumpyelder.com)
- New Gallup numbers pour cold water over a remaining ObamaCare Justification (examiner.com)
- Will Republicans be ready for the ObamaCare backlash? (breitbart.com)