College’s ‘Neutral’ Policy Stiffs Libertarian Students, Funds Their OpponentsPosted: January 28, 2014
Robby Soave reports: More troubling details have emerged in the case of a libertarian student club’s lawsuit against against the University of Michigan: Not only did UM administrators refuse to give the group funding for an anti-affirmative action event, but they also gave liberal students funding for a pro-affirmative action event just days before.
UM collects mandatory fees from students in order to distribute money to student groups for events and speaker fees–about $300,000 each year. However, administrators claim to have a blanket policy against using the money for political or religious events. On this basis, they denied the Young Americans for Liberty its request for $1,000 to cover the cost of bringing anti-affirmative action activist Jennifer Gratz to campus.
The Daily Caller previously reported on YAL’s lawsuit, which claims that the university provided funds to other political and even religious groups as recently as 2010.
But an omitted detail has come to light: The university actually funded a group in direct ideological opposition to YAL’s Gratz event.
Gratz’s visit to UM came just a week after the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, a case that will decide whether the citizens of the state of Michigan have the right to prohibit universities from basing admissions decisions on applicants’ skin color.
The Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action By Any Means Necessary (BAMN) is a registered student group at UM, and was given access to the student fees fund by a university commission, according to YAL’s lawsuit. Mandatory student fees helped cover BAMN members’ travel costs to go to Washington, D.C. and protest in front of the Supreme Court just days before the Gratz event…
- Update: Libertarian students victims of unbelievable double standard (dailycaller.com)
- Libertarian students sue UMich for political discrimination (dailycaller.com)
- Libertarian students victims of double standard (educationviews.org)
- UMich meets demands of black students who threatened ‘physical action’ (dailycaller.com)
- Campus Refuses to Fund Anti-Affirmation Action Event, But Funds Pro-Affirmative Action Effort (thecollegefix.com)
- Campus Refuses to Fund Anti-Affirmation Action Event, But Funds Pro-Affirmative Action Effort (iowntheworld.com)
- Student group sues University of Michigan over denial of funding for event (mlive.com)
- Affirmative action foe knocks black students’ demands (usatoday.com)
- VIDEO: Black College Students Threaten Violence if Not Provided Free Tuition (americanoverlook.com)