Amazon Needs Heavyweight Content if It’s Developing a Games ConsolePosted: January 29, 2014
Amazon’s mystery set-top we keep hearing about like an elusive whale that surfaces distantly for moments before plunging into unlit nether regions is making a few new ripples off reports — rumors, to be sure — that the company’s still toiling and troubling to develop a game console that might compete with, well,everything.
It’s an obvious (if too often glossed-over) point, but the one that matters most in the end: If Amazon (or anyone else, Roku to Apple to Android-based game box X) wants to compete with established industry players like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, it needs what so many have tried and failed, deleteriously, to secure — broad, mainstream, third-party developer support.
Without it, you could be the cheapest console on the planet and you might as well be selling snowblowers in equatorial Guinea. This is why, when it comes to hypothetical games platforms in particular, I could care less about stories that Amazon’s at work on a sub-$300 or sub-$100 game console, because the only news that matters, games-wise, is “Can I play Grand Theft Auto Whatever’s Next on the thing?”
Anyone can pull together competent hardware nowadays, but as we’re seeing with too many of these one-off game cubes and USB sticks and funky processor-laden gamepads, people won’t pay for promises, no matter how counterculture or cool-sounding. If you want to throw your hat in the new-platform ring, you’re either selling a first-party experience that’s so novel and compelling, soup to nuts, that it’s longterm sustainable enough to lure those third parties, or you’re paying those third parties prohibitive amounts of cash to be on your platform…
- Amazons Android-based game console will reportedly launch this year (forums.pinstack.com)
- Amazon to launch Android-based gaming console this year for under $300: Report (ibnlive.in.com)
- Report: Amazon Releasing Game Console in 2014 For Less than $300 (besttechie.com)
- Amazon rumored to launch sub-$300 Android game console this year (electronista.com)
- Amazon’s Android-based game console will reportedly launch this year (bgr.com)
- Amazon is working on a game console – rumour (kitguru.net)
- Amazon to launch an Android-based console later this year (siliconangle.com)
- Amazon Once Again Rumored to be Working on Kindle Gaming Console (gottabemobile.com)
- Amazon’s Android-based game console will reportedly launch this year (news.yahoo.com)
- Amazon rumored to be working on game/entertainment console (hispanicbusiness.com)